Wider front tire?

6 replies to this topic
  • Streamline

Posted June 27, 2011 - 05:31 PM

I'm about to change both my front and rear tires on my 04 YZ450F desert/GP racer. I already have a slightly wider rear Maxxis desert IT tire that's waiting to go on the bike 120/90/19 that I'm looking forward to trying out. But I also need a new front tire and was thinking about trying the MX71 front tire in a 90/100/21 compared to the stock size of 80/100/21.

Any thoughts of front tire size?

• grayracer513

Posted June 28, 2011 - 06:54 AM

I ride mostly desert, and of the 90/100x21's I've tried, none has really worked that well. Part of the problem is that the soil conditions presented by desert riding are far more diverse than most people realize without seeing them, and range from hard pack to rock, to sand and gravel, without much true intermediate in between. The wider tires I've tried do well on the hard stuff, but tend to skate in sand.

My current favorite pair is the Dunlop 952 in 80/100x21 followed by an MX51 in 110/90x19. If you decided to try the MX71, post your experiences with it.

• Streamline

Posted June 28, 2011 - 04:34 PM

I ride mostly desert, and of the 90/100x21's I've tried, none has really worked that well. Part of the problem is that the soil conditions presented by desert riding are far more diverse than most people realize without seeing them, and range from hard pack to rock, to sand and gravel, without much true intermediate in between. The wider tires I've tried do well on the hard stuff, but tend to skate in sand.

My current favorite pair is the Dunlop 952 in 80/100x21 followed by an MX51 in 110/90x19. If you decided to try the MX71, post your experiences with it.

Thanks for your response. By "skate in sand" what exactly do you mean? Doesn't have much bite? Drifts?

I was actually looking at the 952 but ended up wanting to try the MX71 front as I've only ever heard great things about it as a front tire out here in the desert. I will be sure to post my experiences with it in whatever size I end up choosing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 28, 2011 - 05:21 PM

By "skate in sand" what exactly do you mean? Doesn't have much bite? Drifts?

I mean they tend to feel as if the front end is standing on a plastic trash can lid; slides all over the place.

Don't let me discourage you from trying the MX71 if others have had good luck with them. Let us know.

• todds924

Posted June 28, 2011 - 07:13 PM

I tried a "90" series tire once...........What a mistake that was......for moto I'm talking about. Putting a wider front tire on a bike that has a few problems to begin with in the corners was not a good idea. That was on my old 06 YZ 450. With that wider tire the bike really climbed out of ruts and wouldnt turn.

• Streamline

Posted June 28, 2011 - 07:14 PM

I mean they tend to feel as if the front end is standing on a plastic trash can lid; slides all over the place.

Don't let me discourage you from trying the MX71 if others have had good luck with them. Let us know.

Alright I understand what you mean. I still have the stock tire on the front so no matter what size I choose it will have to be an improvement. That, and once I am able to get the suspension set up for my weight of 210 (it's currently set for 165lbs) it should turn/move a lot better. Currently the front end knifes back and forth through any and all sand washes. I don't really enjoy the feeling that I'm going to crash every time I have to race in the sand. My YZ400F had stock suspension and was wonderful in the sand. It'll be nice to have a properly set up bike this season.

And no you didn't discourage me from trying the MX71. I'll just have to make a final decision about the size and hit the "order" button.

• Streamline

Posted October 07, 2011 - 06:22 PM

Ended up going with the stock size MX71 and I'm loving it! Hooks up great in most everything besides wet/slick conditions. But that should be obvious as it's a hard pack tire. It even holds a good line in the sand. I'm using the MX71 in front and a 120 Desert IT in the rear, so far I like the combo. :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.