First ride on my new to me bike, several questions...

17 replies to this topic
  • Magnetic

Posted June 27, 2011 - 08:51 AM

I spent about 3.5 hours in the saddle yesterday getting to know my new to me bike, 2005 WR450F. I didn't change anything on the bike, just rode it like I bought it. I found out all that has been done to the bike: PMB insert, AIS removed, JDJetting kit, and snorkels removed. This thing is a beast compared to the XR400 and YZ400F I have owned. It handled fairly well, and overall I am very pleased. I've searched here for the few things that I didn't like, and I think I know most of the answers but still I would like your input/experiences if you don't mind.

1. Seat. I sure miss my XR's seat. I'm hoping that once I get better at riding and taller bars that I'll be standing more and it will not be an issue. In case it does not work out, whose seat is most cushy, EE or Guts?

2. Bars. I'm 6'4" with a long torso and could not really stand without being all hunched over. Watching the teenagers stand with the bars comfortably about waist high had me envious. I would like to go as high as possible without needing new cables. 2" Rox risers with Ricky Carmichael bars work ok? Any other suggestions?

3a. Fork seals are leaking a little (I guess all great deals have a secret) and I didn't notice before the purchase. OEM or aftermarket for the best replacement seals?

3b. Since I will have the forks open to change the seals... I weigh close to 250 lbs. and the racetech site says I need .52 springs. I want a smooth ride (I do not ride hard). From what I have read these springs will raise the front and put me in the more cushy part of the fork stroke instead of deeper and firmer where I am now. So Will stiffer springs allow me to adjust the forks for a smooth ride? And do I need to put in the recommended 6.2 shock spring at the same time?

4. The transmission feels quite notchy around first gear. The other gears seem fine, but sometimes while downshifting into first I end up in neutral and have to press down harder than what I think it should take to put it in first gear. Normal, or is something wrong?

Again,
Thanks for your help.

Magnetic

• Col Psoas

Posted June 27, 2011 - 09:01 AM

Sorry I can't help on the forks as I have a shop do mine. Guts makes some Crazy soft seats if thats your thing, I would definitely check them out, you can also get them quite tall.
I don't remember Ricky bars being a high bend though, maybe I'm thinking a little fuzzy... am I wrong guys?
and as for the trans I wouldn't worry too much unless its truly missing when you shift down

• Magnetic

Posted June 27, 2011 - 10:00 AM

I don't remember Ricky bars being a high bend though, maybe I'm thinking a little fuzzy... am I wrong guys?

You are right, it is the Windham bend that I was thinking about... 99mm height.

I have also heard about ATV bars and playbike bars being used without a riser?

Edited by Magnetic, June 27, 2011 - 11:03 AM.

• supastipa

Posted June 27, 2011 - 07:58 PM

I've been working out similar issues with my "new to me" 2003 over the last three months. I'm also a big tall dude...6'5" and way past 250.

1. I went with the guts tall seat with medium foam...only one ride so far but it seems OK...maybe a little harder than I was hoping for but hopefully it will break in a bit.

2. Bars - My bike came with big bar adapter already on them....I think they are Tusk brand from RMATV. The tallest bar I could find was the Ricky Carmichael "high" bend. It's been a game changer for me...finally feels comfortable standing up. This would be my first purchase if I were you.

3. Haven't had seal issues with the forks yet but did put a new rear spring and set the sag numbers before I even rode it for any real distance. I am feeling the need for the fork springs now...think that will be my next purchase. Only problem is that I can't find any higher spring rate than .49

• JDLowrance

Posted June 27, 2011 - 08:24 PM

0.52s might work for you guys but I'd be inclined to recommend 0.50s with 5wt at 120mm. I've got an 09 WR and run 0.50 front and a 6.7 rear. I'm 255 and this set-up works really well for me. You can purchase them from Motosport.com. They are Factory connection springs and very good quality. The rear is yellow and looks good with the blue plastic.

Another benifit to taller riders is lowboy pegs. I'm running Fastways in the lowboy position...nice and wide...makes a huge difference. More room for the size 13s as well. Alternatively you can modify the stockers. Cut the cylindrical part off and relocate it to the top of the peg then switch springs from left to right. Moves them down and back .5 and .75 respectively. Do a search on peg mod.

Check out the KX high. A little taller than the Windham bend with less pull back.

Enjoy the new ride.

• tl1000rlt

Posted June 27, 2011 - 08:34 PM

You can get the stiffer springs at Smart perfomance...http://www.smartperformanceinc.com/
Before you go after the seals try running some undeveloped 35 mm film in between the fork tube and the seal using a digging motion to get the dirt out. This may stop the leak, if not, I like oem seals.

• RockyMtnScotsman

Posted June 28, 2011 - 02:02 AM

2" Rox risers with Ricky Carmichael bars work ok? Any other suggestions?

I just installed Rox pivoting 2" risers on my recently-new-to-me WR last weekend and it made the proverbial night/day difference. For taller riders it should be a requirement right up there with the free mods. I'm still using the stock Renthal bar, but Rox offers a version with an adapter to accept either 7/8 or fat bars. I had no trouble with the cables using the 2" Rox.

• MANIAC998

Posted June 28, 2011 - 04:01 AM

Magnetic, Yes, springs for your weight is a must as it will allow the bike to ride up higher in it's travel which will make it somewhat more supple. But the stock valving won't give you pure suppleness! For that, a revalve will be in order. Just get the springs first, as you'll need them anyhow, and maybe that will be enough for you. Good luck. Maniac

• gsa102

Posted June 28, 2011 - 08:36 AM

I an 6'2" and have the Guts Tall soft seat and I weigh 220. With a season on it its is getting too soft, and I may switch out to the medium foam. I have 1" risers on the stock bars, and I sit so low in the foam it is hard to keep my elbows up and slide around on the seat.

I had my suspension done by a pro and I am running .48 / 6.2 with a revalve on both ends. It had .49 in the forks and they were too stiff.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Magnetic

Posted June 29, 2011 - 06:54 PM

Well, things are progressing nicely, kind of... I replaced shot wheel bearings in the front that I didn't catch before I bought it.

I have some 2" Rox risers on the way to help with the handlebar height issue.

I have about 18mm static sag, and about 132mm total sag. Needless to say I need new springs.

I cleaned the fork seals as recommended here, and they have not leaked since. I'm hoping that a little grime is all it was causing the leak.

To be continued....

Magnetic

• tribalbc

Posted June 30, 2011 - 07:34 AM

I'm 6' 3"
Guts tall medium seat, plenty cushy for me.
RMATV tusk bar risers and stock bars (cut down) rolled forward to + 1.5, plenty of room for stock cables when you roll the bars forward and much better positioning for standing when tall
Seals I have to say spend the little extra and get the SKF seals. They are supposed to be pretty much "leak proof" I'm a fork seal abbuser with all the mud riding and racing I do here in wet BC, go through 2-3 sets a yr. Since I put SKFin both my bikes I've been leak free :thumbsup:
Not to mention the huge difference they have in stiction.

• RichFZR-WR

Posted June 30, 2011 - 01:04 PM

Got fed up with monkey butt so i got some padded cycling shorts, excellent when on a day ride.:thumbsup:

As with the gear issue, sounds like you might need a new shifter, check to see if its worn, alloy shifter only has a limited life span and if you fall off on the left it takes a battering.
You can usually tell cause you find neutrel when you don't want to, but when you want to find neutrel you can't.
Enjoy.:ride:

• copper head

Posted June 30, 2011 - 01:21 PM

Im currently looking at two different bikes that maybe you could help shine a little light on for me! One is a 2009 used wr 450 for $4k out the door!, and the other is a 2008 brand new cr 450x for $6k out the door. Have ridden most of my life but the last bike to ride was a 2003 yz 450, however in my 40's now looking to get one of the enduro type bikes now!

• JDLowrance

Posted June 30, 2011 - 09:28 PM

If you have a choice, go new. The 08 CRF-X450 s a great bike. It's a virgin as well....hard to beat that! Should be able to do a little better on the price though being an 08 left-over.

I've got an 09 WR450F and love it. Would probably love the CRF-X just as much (maybe not when it comes to maintenance time though).

John

• copper head

Posted July 01, 2011 - 02:10 PM

Thanks for info. I will be in so. cal next week as this is my original home visting family and friends, but also checking out prices on bikes! When I get back to Tx. I will decide and see if the $ talks, and who is willing to deal!

• Magnetic

Posted July 06, 2011 - 12:51 PM

I installed the 2" Rox Risers and lowered my stock pegs. I can now stand comfortably on the bike.

I have a Guts tall soft seat and competition cover on the way, along with .50 kg/mm fork springs and a 6.0 shock spring, new seals and fork oil, MX style rear fender, and a 13T front sproket...

• JDLowrance

Posted July 06, 2011 - 07:00 PM

I installed the 2" Rox Risers and lowered my stock pegs. I can now stand comfortably on the bike.

I have a Guts tall soft seat and competition cover on the way, along with .50 kg/mm fork springs and a 6.0 shock spring, new seals and fork oil, MX style rear fender, and a 13T front sproket...

I'm afraid that 6.0 is going to be too soft a rate for your weight. You'll never get proper sag numnbers. You need the 6.3.

John

Edited by JDLowrance, July 07, 2011 - 07:59 AM.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted July 06, 2011 - 10:33 PM

Im currently looking at two different bikes that maybe you could help shine a little light on for me! One is a 2009 used wr 450 for $4k out the door!, and the other is a 2008 brand new cr 450x for $6k out the door. Have ridden most of my life but the last bike to ride was a 2003 yz 450, however in my 40's now looking to get one of the enduro type bikes now!

How used is the WR? They last forever you know. If the engine and valves are good in the wr, I'd get it. 2 grand is a lot of money and will buy a lot of extras.

You will love either one of those bikes, but you'd be crazy to ride an enduro with either one. They are heavy.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.