clanking noise associated with the e-start

3 replies to this topic
  • blireef

Posted August 30, 2003 - 07:56 AM

OK you guys, I need some input here. Some times mostly when the bike is hot the electric starter makes a very disturbing clanking sound when I turn it over. I stop and try agin and it usually starts right up but will sometimes do this several times before it catches. I'm worried this may be associated with the flywheel issue.. Anyone else having this problem? :)

• blireef

Posted August 31, 2003 - 07:10 AM

Come on guys, am I the only one who has these weird noises associated with their e-start? :) :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • timvv51

Posted August 31, 2003 - 12:15 PM

I have always had a clanking noise when using my starter. It clanks when you turn it over a few times and it fails to start and it sounds like it kind of kicks back and clanks. My starter has also locked up at a couple of scary places and I dont use it any more and am fixin to remove it and the battery. The motor starts with the kick start so easy that I have about forgotten about the electric start. Just wish I could forget about the $500 Yamaha charged me for it. Some guys love their starters and have had no trouble. It is curious how there could be such a disparity in quality.

• Indy_WR450

Posted September 01, 2003 - 06:04 AM

The only way to tell is to take the side cover off and look at the gears that go from the starter drive to the main crank. I suspect you have some broken teeth. The impact of skipping a tooth or 2 can during the start crank create a metal to metal impact clanking every rotation. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.