Why me?

8 replies to this topic
  • rfx125

Posted June 26, 2011 - 04:10 PM

Who can tell me why my new complete GYTR ported head assembly has leaky valves (I & E leak down is excessive)?

• KJ790

Posted June 26, 2011 - 05:29 PM

Has the head been run? What method are you using to test how well the valves are sealing?

• Polishhammer

Posted June 26, 2011 - 05:39 PM

needs a valve job. Send it to someone reputable, TUF, PR2 etc. Shouldn't cost much.

• RiderX

Posted June 26, 2011 - 07:27 PM

I'd be pissed too. A $1500 head should not have leaking valves. Are you testing them on the bike with a leakdown tester, or off the bike with solvent?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rfx125

Posted June 26, 2011 - 07:48 PM

Leakdown @ TDC with the cams in, leakdown @ TDC with the cams out, leakdown @ BDC with the cams out; all well over 15% leakdown. Valve clearance wasn't what I was expecting from GYT, either, intake clearances are out of spec, exhaust are in the middle.

• grayracer513

Posted June 27, 2011 - 07:10 AM

Leakdown @ TDC with the cams in, leakdown @ TDC with the cams out, leakdown @ BDC with the cams out; all well over 15% leakdown. Valve clearance wasn't what I was expecting from GYT, either, intake clearances are out of spec, exhaust are in the middle.

KJ asked "has it been run?", and you gave no answer. It's a pertinent question. Smart builders will never lap titanium valves, and in the case of the GYT-R head, which, like it or not, is a production assembly rather than custom work, it's likely that the head started and finished with new valves and a head off the shelf, making the matter of sealing just about exactly like a brand new bike.

Run the engine for an hour and test it again. There should be a significant difference.

Valve clearance cannot be accurately set on the bench each and every time it's done. With a seasoned casting, it's a bit more likely, but the clearance can only be accurately done with the head torqued in place. It doesn't really surprise me that they'd be off a little.

Leak down testers are not made to a particular standard like a pressure gauge would be. 3 different testers will usually yield 3 different results, and it's only useful if used repeatedly on the same engine, or on several engines of the same type, so that some meaningful comparison can be done.

• KJ790

Posted June 27, 2011 - 03:24 PM

Yup, like Gray said, I've seen many freshly assembled heads leak before they are run. Once they are run for a few minutes they tend to seal up. If it is still leaking after you have run the engine for a little bit then there is something wrong.

• AZCrazian

Posted June 27, 2011 - 06:06 PM

I like to use a black marker to check the valve seat contact area in relashion to the valve face. This way doesnt affect the machined surface or valve. Color the seat/valve face and lap by hand by slowly turning with medium pressure.

• AZCrazian

Posted June 27, 2011 - 06:08 PM

Yup, like Gray said, I've seen many freshly assembled heads leak before they are run. Once they are run for a few minutes they tend to seal up. If it is still leaking after you have run the engine for a little bit then there is something wrong.

Very true... they will pound thier own seat and seal lol.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.