FMF Q question??

13 replies to this topic
  • endurodog

Posted August 30, 2003 - 07:32 AM

Ok I got my FMF Q and I'm installing it. There is a small silver spacer and the instructions, or web site, doesn't say what its for. Can anyone out there fill me in? Thanks

• Pit_Man

Posted August 31, 2003 - 03:05 AM

I believe the spacer is used with the stock header pipe.It has a smaller O.D. than an FMF Powerbomb header that most people use with a Q-muffler or Powercore-4.If your not using the stock header you probably won't need the spacer. Now if you've got another brand header ,I don't know.
Hope that helps.

• moto2000

Posted August 31, 2003 - 05:11 AM

If you figure it out let me know, I have one sitting around too. If you are running a smaller diameter SX Powerbomb header you would need it as the gasket between the header and silencer? Just a guess. :)

• endurodog

Posted August 31, 2003 - 08:13 AM

I sent a the question to FMF Tech support so when they get back to me I will post the reply.

Sounds like your running just fine without then? With all the warnings about mounting properly or voiding the warr. I was a little worried.

• captain_S

Posted August 31, 2003 - 08:59 AM

Funny you should mention that cos i have one in my toolbox too!,even tried mounting the steel band that holds the muffler in place the other way round to see if that was what the spacer was for,but ended up fitting it without the spacer too,guess i get a little paranoid when i end up with parts left over!.If you ever get an answer from fmf you will be able to solve a long running mystery! :)

• Dan_from_HB

Posted September 01, 2003 - 10:12 AM

Hi Rex,
If you're referring to the aluminum "donut" spacer that has about a 3/4" od and 7/16" id, and is about 1/2" thick, it goes between the two halves of the band clamp. The mounting bolt goes thru one half of the band clamp, thru the spacer, thru the other half of the band clamp, and into the threaded mounting hole in your frame.
Hope that helps.
Dan

• endurodog

Posted September 01, 2003 - 12:42 PM

Thats the one, thanks Dan

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • captain_S

Posted September 01, 2003 - 01:40 PM

Ah-ha,must have another try! :)

• Dan_from_HB

Posted September 01, 2003 - 07:15 PM

BTW, the band clamp will not be super tight on the outside of the can. It may even have the occasional space under the rubber gasket. It's fine. Just remember to tighten everything per the instructions so you don't stress any joints, and you'll be fine.
Glad that was the right spacer, otherwise I'd be looking a little foolish right now....
Dan

• Hick

Posted September 01, 2003 - 08:13 PM

Just remember to tighten everything per the instructions so you don't stress any joints, and you'll be fine.

In particular keep an eye on the four screws that secure the can to the collector, in my case they continually worked themselves lose and ended up destroying the collector.

• endurodog

Posted September 01, 2003 - 08:16 PM

I got to ride with it today and I will say I'm impressed with the power, way better than my VOR tip.

• the426master

Posted September 02, 2003 - 03:13 AM

Chris I have heard lots of good about the mid to top end power but not much in torch power I have stock on my wr 426

• Dan_from_HB

Posted September 03, 2003 - 08:00 AM

I got to ride with it today and I will say I'm impressed with the power, way better than my VOR tip.

As much as I like my Q, I'd still like the freedom to occasionally put the PowerCore IV back on and just blast away. Here in California, though, it's no longer legal.

Quieting the bikes is a fairly small price to pay as long as we get credit for it. We need to make them give up something in return for everything we do from this point forward. No more restrictions unless we get an equivalent tradeoff.
Urge your legislators and our friends at the AMA, BRC, Corva, ORBA, and others to actually negotiate these things into new regulations. I'm sick of being the giver all the time. We need some land back. If they represent sound as the REAL PROBLEM (even if it's not), then they need to put their money where their mouths are. We need to tell them "If we get quieter, then give us back the land you took away based on noise issues......"
Just a thought.
Dan

• captain_S

Posted September 03, 2003 - 12:35 PM

Well said,they can hardly argue with that! :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.