02 426 Handling vs newer MX bikes

6 replies to this topic
  • mtpkts

Posted June 26, 2011 - 11:04 AM

HI,

I am in my 40's and working towards moving off the vet tracks onto the main tracks. I wondered how my 02 YZ426f handling with suspension revalving compares to newer, say 06 CR450f, handling.... Thoughts?

• pickster

Posted June 26, 2011 - 12:08 PM

I have an 02 426 and i've spent a bit of cash and time sorting my suspension to how i want it, a lot of my friends have more modern bikes ( 07 crf450, 09 yzf 450 and 250 and a 10 tc450 ) and they all comment on how well mine handles when they have a go on it , it keeps with all the other bikes when we are on the track , but then the other day a lad on a yz 125 kicked our arses big time, but he is doing the british championship so thats ok:smirk: i've had a few mx bikes and love the 426 :thumbsup:

• Polar_Bus

Posted June 27, 2011 - 01:59 AM

HI,

I am in my 40's and working towards moving off the vet tracks onto the main tracks. I wondered how my 02 YZ426f handling with suspension revalving compares to newer, say 06 CR450f, handling.... Thoughts?

I don't understand what "moving off the vet tracks onto the main tracks." means ?

I spent a fair amount of time on an '01 426, and they were a fantastic bike in their time, still a "fun" and reliable bike today. The major pitfall is the porky weight of the 426's. You are giving up a good 20 lbs to the newer bikes. That 20 lbs will slow you down later in the moto from rider fatigue.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wiz636

Posted June 27, 2011 - 07:33 AM

I don't understand what "moving off the vet tracks onto the main tracks." means ?

Vet tracks are a little more tame than today's regular tracks. The whoop sections are usually less gnarly, they have more tabletops, and they generally eliminate the 'do or die' doubles.

But to the OP's question, I have owned an '02 426, and '06 & '08 450's. The newer 450's are very flickable and light-feeling compared to the 426.

• tjb531

Posted June 27, 2011 - 06:41 PM

The newer bikes will handle a world better than the 426, but honestly it all comes down to what you feel comfortable on. I'm 220lbs and I turn faster lap times on a 250F than a 450...go figure.

• Polar_Bus

Posted June 28, 2011 - 02:18 AM

The newer bikes will handle a world better than the 426, but honestly it all comes down to what you feel comfortable on. I'm 220lbs and I turn faster lap times on a 250F than a 450...go figure.

I see this all the time. It's because you need to slow down with a 450 to go faster vs. a 250. It's all about "easy and smooth" with the throttle, and saving your energy. Keep whacking the throttle WO on a 450 and all's you are accomplishing is wheel spin, loss of lap times, and elevated rider fatigue.

• pickster

Posted June 28, 2011 - 12:05 PM

The more modern bikes are a lot lighter than the 426 I had a go on a KTM 250 at the weekend and it felt lighter than my mountain bike :ride:, as I stated in my first post i've had my suspension done (revalve ect) but the lads I ride with are on stock suspension on their newer bikes which is probably why I can keep with them, but I have to admit that before the suspension was done on my 426 it was a bit poor so it is worth having it done or if you can afford it buy a newer bike :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.