Just Bought an '06 YZ450F

8 replies to this topic
  • LemonDrizzle

Posted June 24, 2011 - 02:50 PM

After going around and around about buying a 4T I found an '06 YZ450F yesterday for $1200 and I jumped on it. It's a bit rough around the edges but nothing that can't be fixed for a few bucks. So far it looks like about $400 should do the trick. I've gone over most of the bike and there is only one concern that I have. I rode it around a little bit and then put it on a stand in the garage and noticed that oil started dripping out of what looks to be a vent hose on the left side of the bike coming off of the valve cover. I really don't know squat about 4T's at this point so I don't really know what to think about that. I'm guessing the hose is more or less a pcv of sorts but why would oil be coming out of it like that? It made a puddle about the size of a baseball on the ground. Any ideas?

Posted Image

• Yamaryder29

Posted June 24, 2011 - 03:40 PM

Usually, oil comes out of the breather hose, if the oil is overfilled. It won't cause any damage to the motor to overfill it, but I would check the oil level if I were you. And btw, the bike looks pretty good for $1200

• Dirt-rich

Posted June 24, 2011 - 03:50 PM

Nice bike can't beat $1200 I would change just change the the oil and go from there. But as said above the excess oil comes out of the hose

• LemonDrizzle

Posted June 24, 2011 - 04:39 PM

I checked the oil and it didn't seem to be overfilled, but I was going to change it anyways. Still have to do chain and sprockets, fork seals, tires, and have to get a fork guard plus the hardware for holding the brake line and that should about do it. I think I am going to put a 45 pilot jet in it too b/c it was popping really bad when you rip the throttle and let go of it, and I had to put the mixture screw at 3 turns out to get rid of the popping.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 24, 2011 - 09:33 PM

The occasional drop of oil from the crankcase breather is entirely normal, especially when ridden hard. Engines with more time on them are worse about it because they will leak more combustion pressure past the rings than a fresh one will.

Also: http://www.thumperta...599#post3710599

• LemonDrizzle

Posted June 25, 2011 - 05:16 AM

The occasional drop of oil from the crankcase breather is entirely normal, especially when ridden hard. Engines with more time on them are worse about it because they will leak more combustion pressure past the rings than a fresh one will.

Also: http://www.thumperta...599#post3710599

Thanks Grayracer, I had actually been reading that thread before I made that post. It's a very handy thread.

I literally got a small puddle maybe 3 inches in diameter after I shut the bike down and let it sit. I really don't know how many hours are on the bike but it doesn't seem that the rings are too terribly bad since it doesn't seem to blow any smoke from the pipe. Also, it only takes two kicks to start cold and one when its warm. I talked to a guy at my local shop that said if the oil filter was put in backwards that could cause oil to come out from that vent hose as well, but that doesn't make the slightest bit of sense to me. Anyone else ever heard of that? I'd like to go ride it tomorrow but am a little hesitant.

Also, since I don't have a manual for this bike yet, does anyone know what weight fork oil to use in it and what level to run it at? More importantly though, how much oil does it take with and without a filter change? I found a manual for an 08 450 but I don't know what the similarities and differences are since I am completely green when it comes to these four strokes.

Thanks

Edited by LemonDrizzle, June 25, 2011 - 05:31 AM.

• curtis515s

Posted June 25, 2011 - 07:05 AM

Go to the top of the YZ thread where this is posted. It has everything and more than you will ever need to know.

Common Threads: Look here 1st! Mods, Maintenance, Common Issues and FAQ's

• grayracer513

Posted June 25, 2011 - 11:03 AM

I literally got a small puddle maybe 3 inches in diameter after I shut the bike down and let it sit. ...

Also, since I don't have a manual for this bike yet, does anyone know what weight fork oil to use in it and what level to run it at? More importantly though, how much oil does it take with and without a filter change? I found a manual for an 08 450 but I don't know what the similarities and differences are since I am completely green when it comes to these four strokes.

Oil Change: http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=852961

Manual download:
http://www.yamaha-mo...uals/index.aspx
http://www.yamahaown...ook.com.au/?r=0

For the most part, almost everything in the '08 manual will be the same except for the original jetting info and the rear spring rate, and perhaps a couple of other things. The fork oil change procedure is the same, but the manual is somewhat confusing with regard to that. Read these two threads:

http://www.thumperta...814#post8762814

http://www.thumperta...008#post8002008

Any good premium fork oil from 2.5 to 5w will do. Motorex, Amsoil, Maxima, and Bel Ray are some of the better conventional oils. I use 215.K5.VM2 from SMART Performance. It's a very unconventional fluid, and not cheap, but IMO, very much worth the price.

As pointed out, look through the whole of the Common Threads sticky, and don't be afraid to ask...

• LemonDrizzle

Posted June 25, 2011 - 06:25 PM

Well.....I think I know why I was putting so much oil out of the vent hose. When I changed the oil I got about 2.5 qts of oil out of the bike. :ride: I'm thinking the last guy didn't have a clue. If I had to guess, he probably didn't drain the oil out of the right side of the engine the last time he changed it. I also put that 45 pilot jet in and it seems spot on. Tomorrow I will be putting it to the test. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.