Seat Cover Install Advice

5 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 29, 2001 - 06:58 AM

I purchased a new seatcover for my YZ. My question is, should I remove the old one first or just put the new one right over the top of the old one? MXA had an installation tips article and they installed the new one over the old one. I wonder if that would make an already hard seat too hard.

What do you all think?

ROOSTN in Golden

• MikeOK

Posted May 29, 2001 - 07:26 AM

Roostn- I saw the same article, and I also recntly put a gripper seat cover on mine. I took off the old one and saved it. I think, especially if you're putting on a gripper, that you would want to take the old one off... BTW I like this gripper much better than the stocker.

• MXOldtimer

Posted May 29, 2001 - 07:30 AM

I've always removed the old cover. I spray 3m around the edge of the base & cover but its not needed. Warm the cover before starting and watch your staple length, take your time and work both sides evenly or you can pull the pattern off center. Dont cut excess off till your done. If you screw up or it doesnt look right, so what, pull the staples and start again. Dont expect it to be a 15 min job, I can't believe the workout I get replacing a seat cover LOL

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mcarp

Posted May 29, 2001 - 03:24 PM

Definitely remove it. The magazine guys must be lazy! Spray some silicone on the foam, too, it will keep moisture from deteriorating the foam.

The cover install isn't too hard if you have a friend. When you are just about to staple and are pressing down real hard on the staple gun, slide the gun and move the cover inward (towards center of seat) to stretch it even further.

You'll love what a nice foam and cover can do. I went with the Guys racing soft normal height-highly recommend it!

• Hick

Posted May 29, 2001 - 07:53 PM

Yeah, I read that article too, if I did that I’d just be putting staples on top of staples. I like staple guns...

Anyway that is silly, it only takes a few minutes to get the old one off there.

Full grippers are MUCH easier to put on because they are stretchy. Enough of a reason right there, if you ask me, so that is all I get now. Factory Effex is what I’ve got, this may not be true for the others...

• Scott_F

Posted May 30, 2001 - 04:26 AM

Definitely pull the old cover off, and go buy an electric staple gun!

Related Content

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.