Battery for WR 450

24 replies to this topic
  • audaveh

Posted June 23, 2011 - 04:21 PM

I am sure this has been dicussed before, but I can't seem to find a thread on it. I just bought a 2005 WR450 and it needs a battery.
It has a YUASA YTZ 7S in it now. It's direct replacement is expensive and the
Interstate is worse $131.00 !
What are other riders using that has a reasonable cost and is still a decent battery?

• grayracer513

Posted June 23, 2011 - 04:31 PM

I'm sure you'll have a little better luck in the right forum :thumbsup:

• JDLowrance

Posted June 23, 2011 - 07:35 PM

When my battery is in need of replacement I will be purchasing a Shorai.

Fraction of the weight and more cranking power.

John

• jonooffler

Posted June 23, 2011 - 10:30 PM

HI mate I found mine on ebay ( £35.00 ) as long as the CCA is high ( i think 130 ) it should be fine.

• ewr2004

Posted June 24, 2011 - 12:20 AM

The WR450 loves to eat batteries, so you can buy a cheap BikeMaster battery and feed them to the bike every year or two, or you can spend a little on a lithium battery and forget about it.

I recommend Shorai. I love it.

• SXP

Posted June 24, 2011 - 05:09 PM

The WR450 loves to eat batteries, so you can buy a cheap BikeMaster battery and feed them to the bike every year or two, or you can spend a little on a lithium battery and forget about it.

I recommend Shorai. I love it.

My 07 (purchased Dec 23 2006) still has the original battery in it, and it turns the starter motor just fine. I don't know why people seem to have issues with their batteries on the 450s.:thumbsup:

• KennyMc

Posted June 24, 2011 - 10:34 PM

My 07 (purchased Dec 23 2006) still has the original battery in it, and it turns the starter motor just fine. I don't know why people seem to have issues with their batteries on the 450s.:thumbsup:

My '07 still has the stocker as well. It does need to be charged now and then if it sits for a few weeks without riding so I have been looking for a replacement.

• Alizar

Posted June 25, 2011 - 07:40 PM

After going through 2 cheap batteries in my 06 I decided to suck it up and buy a Yuasa. Did some searches here and found the Shorai which costs the same, but weighs about 4 lbs less. Went for the first ride on the Shorai today, and I'm happy. Hopefully it lasts longer than my others.

One of my riding buddies has an 03 WR he claims is still on the stock Yuasa.

• rpyfz450

Posted July 03, 2011 - 02:37 PM

Are people still happy with their Shorai battery?

http://www.shoraipow...491-wr450f.aspx

• Jeffrey Jay

Posted July 03, 2011 - 03:00 PM

Fyi
Website says they are currently out of stock untill mid July on all three levels for this application.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2in2out

Posted July 03, 2011 - 03:34 PM

Totally happy with the Shorai. No complaints.

• woods-rider

Posted July 03, 2011 - 05:59 PM

2006, origional battery, never been on a tender either. If it ever bites the dust I'll replace it with the shorai, but until then if it ain't broke don't fix it.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted July 04, 2011 - 09:40 AM

When my battery is in need of replacement I will be purchasing a Shorai.

Fraction of the weight and more cranking power.

John

:thumbsup::worthy::ride:

HUGE performance increase... no doubt.

I got one and I liked it so much, I immediately purchased one for my ktm and my street bike... and those batteries did not need replacing!

Lead acid batteries are a thing of the past.

• ZWR450

Posted July 14, 2011 - 07:51 AM

I just ordered a Shorai Battery because my stock battery is dead. Just FYI, the replacement battery for my '09 WR450 is listed as LFX09L2-BS12.

• Luke Taylor

Posted July 14, 2011 - 12:34 PM

these guys have the Shorai batteries in stock,

http://www.azmotocit...oraibattery.htm

• WR450FIdaho

Posted August 16, 2011 - 05:24 PM

Just ordered one of the LFX14L2-BS12. Do you guys trickle-charge them at all?

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 16, 2011 - 06:28 PM

Just ordered one of the LFX14L2-BS12. Do you guys trickle-charge them at all?

Nope... they don't need it...

Unless of course, its really, really cold. By cold, I mean if the bike is sitting there in 20 degree temps. I found mine to be a little bit weaker in that situation, but once I got the bike started and the battery warmed up, it was perfect.

• RockyMtnScotsman

Posted August 16, 2011 - 07:24 PM

Dropped a Shorai in my WR last week - holy crap what an improvement! Lighter, cranks better / faster, and trouble-free. I hear they're going to start making automotive batteries soon and I may have to switch over for my truck and 4Runner as well.

• rpyfz450

Posted August 19, 2011 - 07:26 AM

Nope... they don't need it...

Unless of course, its really, really cold. By cold, I mean if the bike is sitting there in 20 degree temps. I found mine to be a little bit weaker in that situation, but once I got the bike started and the battery warmed up, it was perfect.

Surprisingly, the FAQs suggest you turn on the ignition and accessories to wake the battery up five minutes before cranking. This was only for very cold temperatures.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 19, 2011 - 10:06 AM

Surprisingly, the FAQs suggest you turn on the ignition and accessories to wake the battery up five minutes before cranking. This was only for very cold temperatures.

What accessories do we really have on a dirtbike. Sounds good in theory, but in reality, I had nothing to flip on.

The problem I had in cold weather was with my ktm450xcf, which is an estart only bike with no headlight or anything. the only thing I can do is try to start the bike. That killed it.

its rare situation, I know... but now that I know, I can take other steps to warm up the battery. I have the battery tender hookup for the battery. I just connect the terminal to the battery in my truck (gotta reverse the leads) and it will do the trick. Takes a second.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.