2003 yz450f w/ baja light kit (Stator Replacement)

5 replies to this topic
  • steine

Posted June 23, 2011 - 07:40 AM

My Beast yz450f needs a new stator, old one damaged & lights dont work
I bought this bike in 2010 with the street legal baja designs light kit, my questions are,
1. stock flywheel puller 27 mm too big, & not sure of size or type of stator in my beast right now. Not OEM for sure, could it be 26 mm flywheel puller similar to a KTM flywheel??
2. can I buy a high output stator with 80/100watt or do i need a different stator, specifically designed for this type of light kit??
3. Can I put the bike in gear,2nd or 3rd and hold down rear wheel brake to remove flywheel,then wrench it off, not needing a puller at all??
The replacement of a stator seems too simple for me to pay the mechanics to do it, thanks for any help

• grayracer513

Posted June 23, 2011 - 08:07 AM

The answer to number two is no. The absolute biggest output available for use on a Gen 1 YZ450 is 55w AC/35w DC, and I don't know of any of them that are reliable. If you can find one, E-Line made an external setup that produced bigger numbers.

On #3, getting the nut off is not the problem. You still need a puller.

• steine

Posted June 23, 2011 - 09:16 AM

Thanks Greyracer, I bought a stator that replaces the OEM stator part#
5SF-85560-00-00, but wanted to see if I should get the high output for the light kit
My flywheel puller is 27mm and seems just a bit too big, wont thread in counter clockwise, could a 26mm puller be the answer, like KTM bikes use or is there a way to find the correct size if I dont know what kind of flywheel is on my bike right now???

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 23, 2011 - 02:42 PM

It should be an M27x1.0 left hand thread.

• steine

Posted June 23, 2011 - 10:09 PM

No, thats the size I have & its too big but just barely
If the previuos owner replaced his flywheel it could be a different size
I see that KTM,s use this smaller size more like M26x1.0 could an aftermarket flywheel be my issue, I think I will run it down to my local shop have them remove the flywheel
then finish the stator, I didnt think it would be this difficult, would not have been if flywheel was M27x1.0 but it is not. thanks for help

• rockieman

Posted June 25, 2011 - 11:28 AM

I just had the aftermarket stator on my '07 fail for the second time. Bought the Moose stator and put it on when the bike was new, last year it failed and I sent it off to get repaired. After less then 10 hours on the rewound stator it failed again and l was left stranded on the trail. I'm not going through that hassle any more.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.