Help - What is this hole for?

4 replies to this topic
  • anoldsman

Posted June 22, 2011 - 10:53 AM

I recently purchased a 1998 WR400F that had low compression. The bike already had the tank, plastic, and carburetor removed. I removed the head and cylinder to find a stuck ring. I am in the process of putting it back together when I noticed a hole on the right side of the head centered just above the combustion chamber surface. Here is the picture. Any ideas on what it is for?
Posted Image

• dgcars

Posted June 22, 2011 - 10:55 AM

This allows the spark plug recess to drain

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Sknight

Posted June 22, 2011 - 12:03 PM

Yep. Make sure it's clear while you have it easy to get to.

• MANIAC998

Posted June 22, 2011 - 07:02 PM

Yup! It's just so you can blow air in there before removing the sparkplug to keep any debris from finding it's way into the combustion chamber. Maniac

• anoldsman

Posted June 23, 2011 - 06:11 AM

Thanks for the help guys!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.