New Guy

11 replies to this topic
  • zlathim

Posted June 22, 2011 - 06:27 AM

Hi all,

FNG checking in. I've been reading some of the posts on this board, and I'm very happy to have found this place.

I just bought a "new to me", 2001 WR426, so I'll be fairly regular around here for a while. I'm sure most of my questions can be answered by using the search function, so I'll try to keep the stupid questions to a minimum!

Here's a crappy pic of the bike I bought:

Posted Image

I can even kick start it almost all by myself!

Edited by zlathim, June 24, 2011 - 07:02 PM.

• MANIAC998

Posted June 22, 2011 - 07:02 PM

Welcome to the club!!! Maniac

• jonooffler

Posted June 22, 2011 - 10:13 PM

Hi Mate you will be very happy with your new bike I loved mine. I sold mine to get a KTM450. Within a few months I was back on a WR450 .Once you get how to start it it you will have years of happy mud plugging.
Jono

• zlathim

Posted June 23, 2011 - 08:54 PM

Thanks for the welcome guys.

I have been doing a little bit of PM work to the bike. It looks like the guy I bought it from ran it hard then put it up wet.

I forgot to take a picture of the dirty air filter, but this photo shows how filthy the airbox was:

Posted Image

It cleaned up nicely though:

Posted Image

After a lot of reading on this board, I decided that I'd better check the valve lash before I ride it.

Posted Image
Posted Image

I don't have a manual yet, but I did some searching to figure out the valve clearance spec. I never really did find anything definitive, but from what I read it sounds like my intakes at .127mm and my exhaust at .213mm should be within the acceptable range. Am I ok to assume my valve clearances are correct?

After I messed around with the valves I installed a new spark plug, and drained and refilled the cooling system. Since I had the tank off, I wasn't able to run the bike for a few minutes in order to change the oil. I'll be doing that tomorrow or saturday. After that stuff was done, I took some time to clean everything up a bit.

Posted Image

I got the engine cleaned a bit:

Posted Image
Posted Image

The bike came with a beefy aftermarket skid plate:

Posted Image
Posted Image

The tires seem to be in acceptable condition:

Posted Image
Posted Image

I found this tube that apparently goes nowhere, although it looks like it had one of those spring wire clamps on it at one time. Can anyone tell me where this tube goes, if anywhere?

Posted Image

Edited by zlathim, June 23, 2011 - 09:30 PM.

• zlathim

Posted June 24, 2011 - 08:53 AM

Can anyone help me with that hose in the last picture of the previous post? Is it supposed to connect to something? Any help is appreciated.

• MANIAC998

Posted June 24, 2011 - 06:04 PM

You got me! My guess (guess) is that it originally went to the radiator, but has been replaced with a new one and he forgot to remove that one. That's my guess for now. Maniac

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zlathim

Posted June 24, 2011 - 07:04 PM

You got me! My guess (guess) is that it originally went to the radiator, but has been replaced with a new one and he forgot to remove that one. That's my guess for now. Maniac

I'm not going to get too worried about it I guess, because everything that should have a hose or tube connected to it does, so maybe your guess is correct. Thanks for the reply.

• Spiritwalker2222

Posted June 24, 2011 - 08:07 PM

Where does the other end of the coolant hose go? Does it just go down to the ground? If it does, it's the overflow drain, for when the reservoir isn't hooked up.

Some of the WR's didn't come with an overflow tank, and some people remove the reservoir on the one's that come with it.

P.S. I just ordered the Baja fuel cell that goes in place of the coolant reservoir tank. I little extra fuel could come in handy.

• SXP

Posted June 24, 2011 - 08:09 PM

My guess would be the PO rode the bike w/o the coolant reservoir for a while and routed the overflow from the radiator YZ style (down the front of the frame). Where does the other end of that hose terminate?

• zlathim

Posted June 25, 2011 - 01:44 PM

Where does the other end of the coolant hose go? Does it just go down to the ground? If it does, it's the overflow drain, for when the reservoir isn't hooked up.

Some of the WR's didn't come with an overflow tank, and some people remove the reservoir on the one's that come with it.

P.S. I just ordered the Baja fuel cell that goes in place of the coolant reservoir tank. I little extra fuel could come in handy.

My guess would be the PO rode the bike w/o the coolant reservoir for a while and routed the overflow from the radiator YZ style (down the front of the frame). Where does the other end of that hose terminate?

I think you guys are correct. The hose just terminates below the engine as if it is just an overflow drain.

Thanks for the help.

• zlathim

Posted June 25, 2011 - 08:58 PM

I got to take the bike out today to one of our local ORV areas. My son was riding his XR 80 and we had a blast. Here's a timer picure that I took with my point and shoot camera. I didn't have anything to set the camera on, so I put in on the ground. It actually turned out kinda cool:

Posted Image

• MANIAC998

Posted June 27, 2011 - 04:13 AM

Nice shot!!! Maniac

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.