frustrated dad and a PW80!

8 replies to this topic
  • ponyhorscroft

Posted June 22, 2011 - 06:27 AM

Hi to all;

my son recently inherited a non-running PW80. I knew the problem was with the carb as every time you turned the pet cock fuel would flow out of the overflow hose.

So...

I disconnected the air intake boot, the fuel line, oil injector hose and loosened the clamp on to the reed valve assembly and managed to rotate the carb enough to get into the bowl. sure enough the float was stuck up - I cleaned it with a good spray of carb cleaner and got it moving and put the bowl back on - no leak and she starts fine. Now however it wont run under throttle, it will idle fine but bogs down and stalls when given throttle?

Any ideas?

I assuming the place to start would be to pull the carb completely and give it a thorough cleaning but I have 2 questions:

1 - how do I disconnect the throttle and choke cables from the carb, I have no manual yet and I'm stumped?

2 - how do you measure the float height and does anyone know what the correct height is for a 2005 PW80?

Thanks to everyone who reads/responds.

• sykal

Posted June 22, 2011 - 06:30 AM

hey there

your guess would be the same as mine and i would do just like you, start at the carb.

take the carb off, clean all jets, and set float height.

float height should be set & measured within specs, but if its not the next best thing is to make it parallel to the tang when holding on about a 45 degree angle.

to take the carb off, you usually have to take the top of the carb off, and the slide should come out with needle attached.
would be a good time to check the condition of the needle.

• Rodneya

Posted June 22, 2011 - 08:31 AM

http://www.yamaha-mo...W80&y=2012&l=EN

Downloadable manual

• GMO397

Posted June 22, 2011 - 08:34 AM

I'm sorry I do not have the specs for that bike, but you might try searching this forum, someone may have asked it before.

I would agree with you though on the carb being the issue. If the bike idles fine then you pilot circuit is clear. But when you give it gas, different circuits deliver the fuel. Those circuits could be gummed up from old gas.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bikedude127

Posted June 22, 2011 - 02:09 PM

When you open the throttle, you're getting too much air because your jets are plugged shut.. Either clean the goop out or buy some new brass.. You'll be :ride: in no time

• Krennen

Posted June 22, 2011 - 05:10 PM

When you open the throttle, you're getting too much air because your jets are plugged shut.. Either clean the goop out or buy some new brass.. You'll be :ride: in no time

+1 If the float was gummed up and stuck, the jets probably are too.

• ponyhorscroft

Posted June 22, 2011 - 06:23 PM

Thanks for all the info' so far.

I'll try pulling the carb totally off - if I can figure out the choke/throttle cable attachment - I hope Sykal is right and the slide and needle will just pull our with the cables?? If I can't get it out i'll just take the jets out from the bottom and soak them overnight.

Would love more info' on setting float heights as it's something I've never done before?

• Yamaguy55

Posted June 23, 2011 - 08:28 AM

here's another link to manuals, Australian this time:
http://www.yamahaown...om.au/index.php

As long as you didn't beat the poo out of the floats, I would suspect that the level is within spec. Those little carbs have very small passages in both the body casting and the jets themselves, use carb cleaner and compressed air, they'll clean up. do not use metallic objects to clean jets. really gummed ones can be heated with a propane torch and dropped in water to burn the congealed gunk off, but never use metal things.

• Yamaguy55

Posted June 23, 2011 - 08:42 AM

Just looked it up:
1: go here and download your year:http://www.yamaha-mo...W80&y=2012&l=EN
2. Look at pages 68-73 (written at bottom of the pages) and it covers everything you need to know about your carb, shows how to check float level, etc.
3. DO NOT let it run out of injector oil, and if you want to have less work with this, I'd suggest using a good synthetic injector oil like BelRay Si7 or similar. Check to see if whatever you use is compatible with whatever is in the reservoir before pouring it in. You can prove that by putting a little of whatever is in there in a glass container, then pouring an equal amount of whatever you plan to use into the same glass, see if they mix, and stay mixed.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 yz 80 crank bearings out by Wheelierider3

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

1995 yz125 by sven4130

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

yz 2000 and 2003 cylinders by dawson1120

• 6 replies
Forums
Photo

different year plastics by YJB006

• 2 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ250 2015 by Bryan Bosch

Yamaha YZ250 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.