Possible tight valves

6 replies to this topic
  • Yamiryder

Posted June 21, 2011 - 06:08 PM

I'm curious if tight intake valves would cause hard starting when cold but normal starting when hot. This is an 07 450 by the way.

• grayracer513

Posted June 21, 2011 - 06:12 PM

Yes, they will.

• dvn

Posted June 22, 2011 - 03:15 AM

I'm curious if tight intake valves would cause hard starting when cold but normal starting when hot. This is an 07 450 by the way.

I think it's the other way around. Hard starting when hot. Have you checked the valves?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bmeador

Posted June 22, 2011 - 03:24 AM

No, Gray is right as usual!!

• Yamiryder

Posted June 22, 2011 - 04:54 AM

Nope, haven't checked the valves yet. I thought maybe my intake valves were tight and it sounds like I was right.

• grayracer513

Posted June 22, 2011 - 06:47 AM

Why don't you simply check it?

From direct experience, I can tell you that tight intakes will cause a bigger drop in compression when cold than when hot. This is for a couple of reasons, not the least of which is that the valves are tighter when cold than when hot. The logic of one dimensional thinking tells us that the valve expands when hot, so the stem gets taller, and the clearance is less when hot. Makes perfect sense, and it's often true of big engines with cast iron heads. But looking at the complete picture, the head is aluminum, which expands at a significantly greater rate than titanium does, and the head casting controls the distance between the valve seat and the cam.

Because of this, an engine that, when cold, needs a .05 mm smaller shim just to close the valve, and has so little compression that it has to be push started, can warm up and have pretty normal cranking compression once it's hot.

If, however, the bike has good cold cranking compression, valves are probably not the root of the problem. But checking them is a lot more productive than worrying about it.

• Duner185

Posted June 22, 2011 - 12:31 PM

Why don't you simply check it?

From direct experience, I can tell you that tight intakes will cause a bigger drop in compression when cold than when hot. This is for a couple of reasons, not the least of which is that the valves are tighter when cold than when hot. The logic of one dimensional thinking tells us that the valve expands when hot, so the stem gets taller, and the clearance is less when hot. Makes perfect sense, and it's often true of big engines with cast iron heads. But looking at the complete picture, the head is aluminum, which expands at a significantly greater rate than titanium does, and the head casting controls the distance between the valve seat and the cam.

Because of this, an engine that, when cold, needs a .05 mm smaller shim just to close the valve, and has so little compression that it has to be push started, can warm up and have pretty normal cranking compression once it's hot.

If, however, the bike has good cold cranking compression, valves are probably not the root of the problem. But checking them is a lot more productive than worrying about it.

This is some great information, Thanks you have helped me out.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.