hill climbing sprockets

6 replies to this topic
  • 9inger

Posted May 27, 2001 - 05:37 PM

Can anyone suggest what sprocket sizes to go with for hill and steep trail climbing on a YZ? I did some trail riding in Virginia yesterday and found my gears way to high for pulling steep hills in first gear. Lots of clutch slipping was needed!

• Boit

Posted May 28, 2001 - 06:36 AM

I know what you mean since I only took my YZ426 on a trail once and noticed that first gear was much too high. From what I've read, you can only add about two teeth to the rear before you run into chain guide interference problems. Maybe adding those two teeth and subtracting one from the front sprocket could get you into the ballpark.

• yzernie

Posted May 28, 2001 - 07:04 AM

Cheaper and easier to go down one tooth on the front sprocket. One tooth on the countershaft equals about 3-4 teeth on the rear sprocket.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dhvann

Posted May 28, 2001 - 05:17 PM

I put a 53 on the rear with no clearance problems whatsever. In the woods its great, but on the MX track its a little to steep. Good Luck! :)

• Tim

Posted May 28, 2001 - 07:05 PM

I went down one in the front and up two in the rear. Hill climbing is a hoot with the 426!! Much easier than the old CR500 of mine. As long as you are smooth with your throttle input, try not to let off after you have started the hill.... The clutch slipping need goes away.

Remember, momentum is your friend!

• 9inger

Posted May 28, 2001 - 10:02 PM

Thanks for the replys gentleman....Tim, when you went down one tooth on the front did you have to change the sprocket cover? I'm curious because that little ramp that rides in the middle of the chain and sprocket on the front seems (by common sense) to function as something to keep the chain on the sprocket????? Maybe im wrong but it seems like thats the place the rattle comes from at cruise throttle settings. Hmmmm!?? It could just be the chain slapping the rubber swingarm protecter. (or whatever that thing is called)

• Tim

Posted May 30, 2001 - 04:48 AM

I took off that front sprocket cover. It seemed to only collect crap every time I rode. It is hard to clean out 100% also... I think the noise you hear from coasting or steady throttle is simply chain slap, I am not worried about that noise.
Happy Hill climbing

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.