HICK- a 450 question for you

1 reply to this topic
  • MikeOK

Posted May 27, 2001 - 08:27 AM

If Hick is still around, I know he did the 450 kit to his 426 and I was wondering how it was working out...

Mike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted May 27, 2001 - 12:15 PM

It is all good Mike. I recently got to ride an ’01 YZF (and a WR as well) so I’m reacquainted with the baseline, so to speak. The overbore vs. 426 is almost the same as the two-six vs. the four honey. Almost a gear difference in some situations, worth a few teeth out back in all cases. BUT I also got the high compression (13.5:1) version of the Wiseco, so that makes a big difference too. Anybody replacing their piston who rides at elevation should consider a higher compression piston IMO. It may be hard to believe but my bike runs fine on pump gas (at 4k ft.).

Vibration is a tiny bit more noticeable than the ’01 I rode, and it is easier to stall (if you can imagine that), I’m guessing the extra compression is the bigger culprit here.

I probably have 40 hours on it with no problems, I did blow a head gasket initially but that was probably my fault (that is another story).

For those who haven’t heard Wiseco makes a 97 mm piston for the 426 (can be done to a 400 but you will need a 426 rod and barrel) which bumps displacement to 444. I mailed my cylinder to Eric Gorr (920-356-074) in Wis. and he sent me back a bored and replated cylinder, piston, rings and gaskets for around $350. A lot of bang for your buck when you think about it.

I still haven’t gotten around to drag racing a 520 though, I’ll be sure to let you know how that turns out, my friend has one...

And no, I’m not crazy (people are always asking me that).

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.