Need some help with my '06 YZ450

3 replies to this topic
  • FriscoKLR

Posted June 18, 2011 - 06:28 PM

My 2006 ZY450 won't start. It wouldn't start one day last fall and because it had been getting harder to start over the season I figured with 500 or so hours it had a valve or two that needed to be re-shimmed. The current piston has about 80 hours. It's getting spark and gas which lead me to recheck timing three times and that's not it. So far I've:

*Re-shimmed; two intakes went -.05 everything else good.
*New timing chain, rechecked timing then and two more times.
*Inspected valves with head off wire brushed the carbon off, springs look fine, valves seat fine.
*New Spark plug, getting good spark
*New stator from my 2009 Yz450
*Swapped out kill switch
*Removed carb, cleaned needle, pilot, main, check float, cleaned air screw.
*Drained tank has fresh gas, and yes the fuel is on.

What's left?

Edited by FriscoKLR, June 18, 2011 - 09:18 PM.

• Wiz636

Posted June 20, 2011 - 06:20 PM

Take the rag out of your airbox?

If you have fuel, spark, air and compression (do you have good compression?) it should run...unless your valve timing is off, but you checked that three times. Don't know what else to suggest.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RiderX

Posted June 20, 2011 - 07:37 PM

If you're sure you are getting spark and the timing is on (I assume you also verified that the TDC mark is actually at TDC), then I would try squirting a little fuel in the cylinder and see if it fires.

Does it feel like there's good compression when you kick it?

• FriscoKLR

Posted June 20, 2011 - 08:15 PM

There's good compression. No rag in the airbox or plug in the tail pipe either. The index mark on the crank was lined up and TDC verified by watching a screw driver in the spark plug hole come up\down at the index mark. Going to swap carbs, then entire ignition with my '09 and then whatever else until I find the culprit.

Rebuilt this thing three times and always fired first couple kits, this one is frustrating!

Related Content

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.