Leaking O ring chain ?

5 replies to this topic
  • Sylvain

Posted August 28, 2003 - 12:59 PM

While inspecting the bike I noticed that the chain was kind of wet. The lub looks like is coming out of the rollers ! And the O ring seems to be enlarge, puffed. I checked if it didn't come from the contershaft seal, it's ok.

Is it normal ? I used a pressure washer we have at work , but I took care not to aplly direct pressure to the chain. I suppose water still got in the rollers and displaced the lube :).

Is there a way to get rid of this situation ?

Is there a way to "inject" lube pass the O ring back on the rollers ?
Is a new chain the only answer ?

My sprockets are in really good shape, so far I adjusted the chain on three occasions, and very small adjustement.
I have near 1800 kms and always take good care of it. May be too good :D.

Re-reading my post is like answering it, I'll stop the worries and get an another X/O ring chain before there is damage to the sprockets.

What's the latest hottest most reliable one right now ?

Any suggestions are welcomed

• Indy_WR450

Posted August 28, 2003 - 03:10 PM

Dont worry about the lube dripping out. When the chain starts to kink and wont sag evenly from sprocket to sprocket after cleaning and lubing it up. toss it! Unless you are running Ironman heat treated tool steel sprockets you are most likely going to have to replace them as well. Inspect carefuly and decide. Any top brand O-ring chain will do you just fine. :)

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted August 28, 2003 - 09:10 PM

If the orings are swelled up, maybe the wrong chain lube was used? Many of these must say "OK for o-ring chains", petroleum products tend to swell rubber. The chain should feel stiff from the orings being in good shape, if the chain becomes limp, its no good. If dirt has entered past the orings, soon, it will chaffe the pin, crate a stress riser where the chain will start breaking. My theory is, if it breaks once, replace it, many breaks usually follow. If the chain flexes or no longer feels stiff from snug orings, replace it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Sylvain

Posted August 29, 2003 - 06:47 AM

That's what I thought. It's just that I didn't want to dig in my not so deep pocket again :).

• holeshot426

Posted August 29, 2003 - 08:23 AM

Dont sweat the small stuff like damaging your sprockets because of leaking lube or what not. Just ride it, and when the chain really looks worn out, then replace it, and replace both sprockets at the same time.

Posted August 29, 2003 - 08:30 AM

My last chain lost 20% of the o-rings over time. I found that if I lubed the chain everytime I rode it did not make much of a difference. This past change I decided to go with a non-O-Ring chain and see if it wears any better on my 426.

Bonzai :)

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.