2007 Wr450 Spring rates question

4 replies to this topic
  • pschiess

Posted June 16, 2011 - 01:18 PM

I bought a 2007 WR450f and the PO was not the original owner so not much help as to what had been done to the bike. Both PO's were pretty big guys (I am 6'1" and 205# and they were heavier than me). I know everyone says the stock suspension is way too soft. Both times I have had the bike out the suspension seems a bit hard (harsh). I have a KTM 300 as a comparison and the WR450 feels way harsher. This is really noticeable in small rock gardens. Lots of deflection. All clickers are set to the middle position. Question I have is there any way to see if a new spring has been installed visually? I know that the front end would need to be disassembled but the rear shock spring is visible. Any clues as to what to look for to see if one of the PO installed heavier springs? I have the race sag set at 100 mm.

Edited by pschiess, June 16, 2011 - 01:38 PM.

• Sycamore

Posted June 17, 2011 - 10:57 AM

I dont think so? My 07 was too soft..I liked it for the most part and was scared to change it but I finally summoned the courage. I went to .48 springs up front and found a stock yz450 spring for the rear. I forget what it was, but the stock WR was 5.3 I think and the yz was one step higher.

The result was MAGIC. I still have stock valving and it's like night and day. I weight about 190-95 but I carry tons of stuff since I do long distance DS-ing, so it should be good for you too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gsa102

Posted June 20, 2011 - 08:19 AM

The stock spring is gray, if it is another color, that is a dead giveaway.

Measure your static sag, which is the sag with the bike weight only. If it is too stiff for you, it would be about 25-30 mm because you would have had to loosen the spring up to set the race sag to 100. I think about 20-25 is ideal.

I weigh 220 and run .48 in the front and 6.2 on the rear. I had a pro set it up. Well worth the money.

• pschiess

Posted June 20, 2011 - 08:54 AM

The stock spring is gray, if it is another color, that is a dead giveaway.

Measure your static sag, which is the sag with the bike weight only. If it is too stiff for you, it would be about 25-30 mm because you would have had to loosen the spring up to set the race sag to 100. I think about 20-25 is ideal.

I weigh 220 and run .48 in the front and 6.2 on the rear. I had a pro set it up. Well worth the money.

Great info. Thanks for your help.

• gsa102

Posted June 21, 2011 - 08:45 AM

If the spring is too soft or too stiff, the net effect is that the shock will be harsh compared to the correct one for your weight. But I think too stiff would be better than too soft because of front-to-back balance on the suspension.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.