Hard Start for yz450f

8 replies to this topic
  • Bambam7689

Posted June 16, 2011 - 03:28 AM

hey guys i was wondering. is your bike harder to start when its already warmed up and you've been riding.. my bike will start right up cold but if ive been running it i have to let it cool down and try again.

• grayracer513

Posted June 16, 2011 - 06:57 AM

They can be. Are you using the hot start lever.

• Bambam7689

Posted June 17, 2011 - 06:32 AM

is that the lever right under the left handle bar?

• grayracer513

Posted June 17, 2011 - 06:58 AM

On stock levers, it's on top of the clutch perch. On a lot of aftermarket stuff, it's under it. The hot start bleeds air into the intake to lean out the engine for restarting hot. Hold the lever and crank w/no throttle a time or two. Should help.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KJK_JR

Posted June 17, 2011 - 07:26 AM

Mines usually 1-3 kicks when hot.

• blakers213

Posted June 17, 2011 - 10:01 AM

Mine starts easy all the time. I am always amazed because I know 4 strokes are supposed to be hard to start when hot.

• Yamiryder

Posted June 18, 2011 - 12:40 PM

Some bikes seem to like a couple twists of the throttle before you start them. I know mine does.

• RiderX

Posted June 18, 2011 - 12:56 PM

Some bikes seem to like a couple twists of the throttle before you start them. I know mine does.

Mine does when the bike is cold-as in not run in a while. When the bike is hot, if you're having to prime the cylinder by squirting fuel in it (twisting the throttle) you're probably running lean.

• Schpenxel

Posted June 18, 2011 - 02:08 PM

Mine starts easy all the time. I am always amazed because I know 4 strokes are supposed to be hard to start when hot.

Same here.. 2 kicks max. (although I'm sure it won't start for the first time now that I've said that)

I was going to get an auto decompression cam after all of the horror stories but not sure I'm going to bother now. I can start it usually first kick now anyways and have the decompression step down to very little time.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.