03 WR450 new owner could use some help.

5 replies to this topic
  • ptellis2246

Posted June 15, 2011 - 03:27 PM

Just bought a new (to me) 03 WR450. Love the power on the trails. It came with a Baja kit installed so I've been riding it back and forth to work. Well the knobbies and factory sprocket aren't really cutting it for the street. I like the look of supermoto and the 17" rims. I'm wanting to put some 17" on it with some nice street tires. I'm not going to race it so I think the factory brAmes are fine. Looking for something affordable and that can be changed out quickly to hit the trails. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

• ptellis2246

Posted June 15, 2011 - 03:40 PM

I think the brakes will be fine is what I meant. iPhone blunder.

• zibbit u2

Posted June 15, 2011 - 04:20 PM

cheapest way.. buy some enduro tires for the stock wheels.

next cheapest way.. disassemble your wheels, and relace with some sumo rims

third but getting pricy way.. buy a complete dna, warp9 set and swap as necessary.

only to note, if you do go the sumo direction, then plan to have a gearing change, which usually means new sprocket (s) and new chain, otherwise you might not hit 60mph

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ptellis2246

Posted June 15, 2011 - 06:08 PM

Thank you. I was thinking about a 42 tooth rear sprocket change with 17" rims. I'm thinking that would be good for the street.

• CanadianWR450

Posted June 16, 2011 - 08:27 AM

As I now have a street legal title, I was wondering the same thing...
However, in regards to Enduro tires, by brother in law just got a new KTM 450 EXC with the DOT approved knob's on it. They lasted about 2 weeks...lol..

• YamRZ350

Posted June 16, 2011 - 08:59 AM

FWIW, I'm running 15 / 44 with 17 in wheels mounted on my 05. It seems to be a pretty good comprimise. At 65 mph in fifth gear the motor is turning 6200 ish rpm, but still has some snap in the lower gears.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.