2010 YZ450 Tranny Explosion

10 replies to this topic
  • APlusAutoParts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 05:26 AM

I had about 60 hours on my yz when the chain broke and went through the case. I had a friend of mine do the work. 30 hours later my tranny locked up while riding, after taking it apart 3 broken gears, 1 bent shift fork, and yes the case again. Im just wondering if anyone has heard of these trannys letting go on these newer bikes yet because i know this is related to the repair that was done originally.

• NSF3537

Posted June 15, 2011 - 05:29 AM

I never heard of this problem. I think you had bad luck with the first disaster followed by the repair not being done properly. Not saying you friend doesn't know what he is doing but maybe he missed a part that should have been replaced.

• APlusAutoParts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 03:13 AM

that is exactly what i am thinking i am just trying to confirm that

• norcal_hoss

Posted June 16, 2011 - 11:01 AM

A buddy of mine (mechanic) is good friends with one of the Motoconcepts mechanics and he mentioned that they have had issues with second gear going on these bikes. My buddy has only seen two one at 20 hours and the other at 80 hours. After hearing that and some other news from him im thinking of gearing my bike down (two teeth more to the rear sprocket) and riding 3rd and 4th gear more.

• grayracer513

Posted June 16, 2011 - 01:05 PM

A buddy of mine (mechanic) is good friends with one of the Motoconcepts mechanics and he mentioned that they have had issues with second gear going on these bikes.

Interesting, since all the elements of the transmission are the same as the '06 and up. The exception is that the 3rd pinion, which engages 4th and 5th, has been revised.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • todds924

Posted June 16, 2011 - 07:59 PM

I have not seen ANY trans problems with the new YZ. But I seem to recall reading they changed something in the trans for 2012???

• APlusAutoParts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 03:23 AM

i went up 2 teeth from the beginning and i only use 2nd to turn im mostly in 3rd gear the whole track except those long straights then 4th and 3rd gear in my trans was in about 5 pieces i just really think its the previous repair i had from when i got the bike back when i would push it around in neutral i would hear a very faint clack clack clack coming from the output shaft the mechanic that worked on it said it was probably normal wear and tear, i say its something he did wrong. fortunately for me i just went and bought a new bike 2011 yz450 special edition i have to transfer all my stuff over to it this weekend. thanks guys

• brentn

Posted June 18, 2011 - 02:38 PM

There was a post earlier this year about a guy who blew his tranny on his 2010, can't remember how many hours but I believe one of the gears broke. This post and the one I mentioned are the only issues I have ever come across. I've also done quite a bit of research and searching on the 2010 btw.

IMO sounds like there could have been a piece of case, or something that was hanging inside the case after it was breached. It could have only fallen off recently due to vibrations etc and caused a kaboom.
Just my .02

Point being here is that these bikes are not known to have shitty transmissions :ride:

• rickallen124

Posted June 18, 2011 - 07:47 PM

One ex factory yamaha mechanic who did all of motoconcepts engines last year said that 2nd gear was the only one that he had seen any issues with and it was only with pros in sx. Apparently 2nd gear is the weak link.

• gfmoto

Posted June 23, 2011 - 07:48 PM

I have three friends who have broken 2nd gear on a 10' 450, I'm thinking to change mine out before it brakes and takes out the whole tranny!

• jratcliffe3

Posted June 23, 2011 - 11:50 PM

I had about 60 hours on my yz when the chain broke and went through the case. I had a friend of mine do the work. 30 hours later my tranny locked up while riding, after taking it apart 3 broken gears, 1 bent shift fork, and yes the case again. Im just wondering if anyone has heard of these trannys letting go on these newer bikes yet because i know this is related to the repair that was done originally.

May have been a case of when the chain broke originally, it locked the tranny, damaging, maybe not visually, the gears, which meant they prematurely failed when the bike was rebuilt?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.