Turn signals on wr426 not flashing

11 replies to this topic
  • hurricane522

Posted June 14, 2011 - 01:42 AM

Good morning everyone, i just finished installing all my running gear for my bike to be street legal. It's an 01 wr426f. Lights work and turn signals come on but i don't know where in the circuit i wire in my flasher unit. i had it in line after the handlebar switch received power from my hot feed but before the turn signals. What am i doing wrong? Thank you in advance for any advice.

• GCannon

Posted June 14, 2011 - 07:54 AM

From what I read sounds like you have wired it in the correct current path. Is you flasher compatable with your turn signal lights? (LED flasher with LED Turn signals)

• hurricane522

Posted June 15, 2011 - 04:35 AM

i don't think they are LED - but i will check to be sure. Thank you for the input

• Kawidad

Posted June 15, 2011 - 06:44 AM

Did you rewire your stator from AC to DC? Flasher modules only work on Direct Current.

• hurricane522

Posted June 15, 2011 - 08:25 AM

i didn't know i had to do that on a stock wr. I can't use my stator as is ?

• GCannon

Posted June 15, 2011 - 12:55 PM

i didn't know i had to do that on a stock wr. I can't use my stator as is ?

You Can!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kawidad

Posted June 15, 2011 - 02:54 PM

You Can!

Yes, but in short you have to ad a regulator/rectifier to convert the electrical system from stock. That's what the big deal is with the kits, like Baja Designs. The light will work fine, but you won't have a battery, turn signal flasher, or horn. Those all run off of DC, not AC; which is how the bike is set up from the factory.

• hurricane522

Posted June 17, 2011 - 01:53 AM

guys please bear with me here - my bike came stock with a voltage regulator mounted on the frame on the head tube. So now I have to get an aftermarket regulator for my turn signal flasher to work? Please educate me - what am i missing here? Is the factory regulator not converting the current from ac to dc?
Will a regulator / rectifier be what i need? thanks

• WR450FGreg

Posted June 19, 2011 - 11:39 PM

For what it's worth, here's a schematic of the Aussie (street legal) 2008 WR450F wiring:

Posted Image

Greg

• Kawidad

Posted June 21, 2011 - 08:07 AM

guys please bear with me here - my bike came stock with a voltage regulator mounted on the frame on the head tube. So now I have to get an aftermarket regulator for my turn signal flasher to work? Please educate me - what am i missing here? Is the factory regulator not converting the current from ac to dc?
Will a regulator / rectifier be what i need? thanks

The stock regulator only regulates the flow of electricity. A rectifier will convert the type of electrical flow. A regulator/rectifier does both. The stock unit will not work to convert the electricity, it only regulates the flow, nothing more and nothing less.

• G_H

Posted June 21, 2011 - 11:22 AM

If your flasher module is of "modern" type (that works with LED) you need DC current. The benefit of using a unit of that type is that the power of the light bulbs doesn't matter so you can use both LED or bulbs of any kind.
If it is of the old fashion type it runs on AC as well as DC. However you must to have bulbs with correct power output (W). If you have the wrong bulbs the unit will flash to fast or to slow.

How is the indicator light (in the speedometer) wired. Or is there none?

For my WR400 I made a custom harness where the flasher module and horn is powered by their own rectifier to run on DC. I kept the headlight, taillight and brake light running on AC. That way I only needed simple and cheap universial rectifier circuit that can be bought "anywhere".
When used offroad the flasher and horn harness can be removed easily from the bike.

• hurricane522

Posted June 23, 2011 - 08:57 AM

Thanks everybody for the help. I will be getting a rectifier immediately.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.