how does your wr400 run

2 replies to this topic
  • Metalskin420

Posted June 14, 2011 - 12:20 AM

i have a few issues (i think) with my wr. its a 98 model, has about 2500klm's on the clock.

following the starting procedure it seems to run ok when warm.

starts 2nd or 3rd kick, choke on seems to idle at around 3500 rpm.
this to me seems excessively high, but much less and the bike will stall.
if i start it without the choke, starts as easy but need to keep the revs over 2500k, then theres a chance it may stall (from not being fully warmed up?)
when you stop messing with the throttle, or get down the road. seems to make a 'tick' somewhere on the left side when this happens. this also happens when
the bike stalls if you are trying to kick it over.. not sure but i dont like it, scares me, makes me think theres bigger probs. or is it normal to stall if not warmed for a min/tick noise normal etc?

once its hot, it goes like a gun, will start without the hot start 1st kick, idles fine etc, but seems to run rich and you can smell plastic burning somewhere..

no idea if i have a problem, or its just the bike.

anyway, it would be good to hear how other peoples wr's run, problems or no problems.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ArcticWR400

Posted June 17, 2011 - 12:32 AM

I have a 99 wr400. I find that mine runs pretty high RPM when started with the choke on too, tho i don't have a tach to tell me just how high. All of what you're saying to me here sounds normal save for the tick (its a noisy bike in the best of shape, but if you're noticing a distinct TICK then its probably not a good thing) and the burning plastic (perhaps you're silencer is touching the plastic cover behind your right theigh? Mine was... had to reposition it on the midpipe to prevent melting the cover altogether.)

hope this helps,
Ride safe!

• DeeCee

Posted June 17, 2011 - 09:05 PM

Check out the WR forum, it may have some answers to your query

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.