DRZ vs WR & XR

No replies to this topic
  • MichiganDRZ400E

Posted May 25, 2001 - 08:43 AM

This past weekend I had the opportunity to race several bikes,many times, on pavement and dirt roads, to evaluate the engine performance of my Z.

My DRZ400E has been jetted, 165 main, pilot and needle raised. The airbox snorkle is removed and exhaust is stock. Gearing is stock E (14/47).

3)XR600's - Friends of mine. All had stock exhaust pipes with the cleanout plug removed and one had a Thumper exhaust tip. Another one had lowered the countershaft sprocket one
tooth. We ran several times from 40,50, 60mph to max. I suspected I was faster in midrange
but they would get me at, or near, the top end. Nope! :D I pulled them all to max (at 87mph I hit the rev. limiter)and none could catch me. The one with the Thumper paced me at top end but I was 6-8 bike lengths ahead and he could not gain ground. When we switched bikes I remembered what I liked about my 600. It really pulls nice from down low. But, when I downsized from 600 to 400 that's all I gave up.

WR426 - Throttle stop removed, air box snorkel removed with stock exhaust and jetting. Same as above but he accelerated better than the Honda XR600s. From 60mph roll I jumped him 2 bike lengths right away. :D I pulled him on top by 2-3mph. We switched bikes later on the trails and he commented on the good low end and nice hit mid to high on the Z. I thought his suspension was better. Nice on the little stuff but much better and confidence building on the larger stuff. I'm still not sold on the DRZ suspension.

DRZ400E - With air box snorkel, stock jetting and stock exhaust. We were very close. I was a little faster on top and a wee tad stronger getting there. At times our acceleration was even. Surprised me! He did complain about hesitations when it was cool out. The box stock Z would beat the XR's and WR.

Naturally I was feeling on top of the world. Man this Z really rips. :D Then my friend with the WR426 had a problem with the exhaust tip and had to remove it. Ah Oh. :) Yep. He was faster everywhere. Out accelerated me and on top, while I was surging against the rev. limiter, he just kept on walking away from me. :D Oh well. Quiet against quiet the Z rules.
Now I wonder what it will be like when he gets the jetting right?

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.