YZ450F left to idle coolant bubbling

16 replies to this topic
  • chrispa

Posted June 11, 2011 - 12:40 AM

hey guys

I was installing a brake light in my YZ450F 2008 and after about 10 mins the coolant started bubbling so I switched it off..

I'm going to replace the coolant...

I'm really worried that I've done some damage to the engine?

• adem188

Posted June 11, 2011 - 12:58 AM

hahahaha i done the EXACT same thing dw u didnt do damage its just that there was no air flowing and it overheated so it spilled out as long as u turned it off u will be fine thats my oppinion

• dvn

Posted June 11, 2011 - 03:39 AM

I'm surprised it took 10 minutes! They need air moving over the radiators.

• bendover932

Posted June 11, 2011 - 04:04 AM

While it was running,how did you know it was "bubbling"? Were u running it with the radiator cap off?

• chrispa

Posted June 11, 2011 - 04:24 AM

it wouldnt of been bubbling for longer than 3-5 mins... the cap was on..

• adem188

Posted June 11, 2011 - 06:12 AM

it wouldnt of been bubbling for longer than 3-5 mins... the cap was on..

was there green smoke/liquid comming out from a hose under the bike? yes or no

• chrispa

Posted June 11, 2011 - 06:18 AM

no smoke, just green coolant out of the overflow on the radiator onto the floor, no glowing exhaust etc. i since drained the coolant and replaced it, took it out for a ride, started first kick, responded as it always has.. i dont think ive done any damage..

• chrispa

Posted June 11, 2011 - 06:36 AM

also do I have to bleed the cooling system to remove any air pockets caused by the boil over? I'm unsure on how to do this, is there a bleed valve somewhere on the YZ450F?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz450fcranker

Posted June 11, 2011 - 07:22 AM

the cap itself is the bleed valve just add juice

• YZPaGuy

Posted June 11, 2011 - 11:38 AM

10 minutes? Thats great. Mine will do it in 45 seconds!

• adem188

Posted June 11, 2011 - 05:17 PM

10 minutes? Thats great. Mine will do it in 45 seconds!

haha really??

• adem188

Posted June 11, 2011 - 05:18 PM

no smoke, just green coolant out of the overflow on the radiator onto the floor, no glowing exhaust etc. I since drained the coolant and replaced it, took it out for a ride, started first kick, responded as it always has.. I dont think ive done any damage..

you have not done any damage at all. Relax a little. End of thread

• Polar_Bus

Posted June 13, 2011 - 08:27 AM

Yup, the YZF's should not be allowed to idle for more than 45 seconds or so. They will blow coolant out the cap quickly. Start your YZ give it a 30 second warm up, and get the bike moving. Ride the bike easy for another 5 min or so, then let er' rip ! :ride:

• adem188

Posted June 13, 2011 - 11:37 PM

Yup, the YZF's should not be allowed to idle for more than 45 seconds or so. They will blow coolant out the cap quickly. Start your YZ give it a 30 second warm up, and get the bike moving. Ride the bike easy for another 5 min or so, then let er' rip ! :ride:

really? 30 seconds? thats it? y so little time?

• Hurricane

Posted June 15, 2011 - 10:08 AM

really? 30 seconds? thats it? y so little time?

You can idle longer than that, the manual says to let it idle for 3 minutes before doing an oil change.

• grayracer513

Posted June 15, 2011 - 10:49 AM

The manual contains a lot of little errors like that that are carried over from one manual to another without any thought. A glaring and serious example is the recommendation to lap valves.

If you face the bike into a 10 mph wind, you may get away with idling for 3 minutes. Otherwise, I'd bet against it.

• Hurricane

Posted June 15, 2011 - 10:53 AM

The manual contains a lot of little errors like that that are carried over from one manual to another without any thought. A glaring and serious example is the recommendation to lap valves.

If you face the bike into a 10 mph wind, you may get away with idling for 3 minutes. Otherwise, I'd bet against it.

Well I've only had the bike a little over a month and have only done 1 oil change but I let it warm up for about 3 or 4 minutes and it didn't overheat or even make a gurgle. Maybe it's the Amsoil coolant or maybe I'm just lucky.:ride:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.