Help! Recomended torque wrench range?

4 replies to this topic
  • holeshot426

Posted August 27, 2003 - 08:08 AM

If I were to buy a torque wrench, what range in ft-lbs or N-m should I get? Thanks in advance!

• ddialogue

Posted August 27, 2003 - 08:15 AM

1/2", 3/8", or 1/4" wrench?

I think most are around this:
1/2" 0-150 ft. lbs.
3/8" 0-80 ft. lbs.
1/4" 0-200 inch lbs.

When working with the lighter torque spec'd bolts, I generally switch to the 1/4" wrench and convert the foot lbs. to inch lbs. to ensure I'm not over-torquing.
Good luck!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted August 27, 2003 - 08:17 AM

If I were to buy a torque wrench, what range in ft-lbs or N-m should I get? Thanks in advance!

You really need two. One for lower settings on cam caps (10 Nm) and pinch bolts (20 - 23 Nm) and one for the axle bolts, stem nut etc.

I wouldn't trust one wrench to go from a 100 Nm axle to a 10 Nm cam bolt. I don't think anything has a torque value above 100 Nm, and 10 Nm is the lowest I can think of...

100 Nm is about 80 ft.-lbs. I think, 10 Nm is about 7 ft.-lbs.

Hope this helps.

• Drew_Seattle_DRZ400s

Posted August 27, 2003 - 08:18 AM

I doubt you'll need one that goes above 100 lb-ft. Just for saftey's sake, get one that goes to 150 lb-ft and starts at the lowest possible setting, like 10 lb-ft. I ended up getting several.

15-150 lb-ft 3/8" drive for most purposes
15-200 lb-in 3/8" drive mostly for the low torque settings required for suspension.
10-100 lb-in 1/4" drive low-profile for fitting between the top of the head and the top frame rail for torqueing the cam caps after valve adjustment/cam replacement.

• RichBaker

Posted August 27, 2003 - 07:32 PM

Steering stem nut is spec'd at 105 ft/lbs....rear axle and SW pivot may be higher, I haven't looked. Only reason I know the Strg stem is 'cause I put my Scotts top t-clamp and stabilizer on last weekend. :)
Rich Baker

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.