2007 WR450f in White & Dual Sport ready

20 replies to this topic
  • pschiess

Posted June 10, 2011 - 12:58 PM

I just finished my project dual sport and converting the bike to white plastic. So far I am happy but will be even happier once I leave the DMV with that plate.. :ride:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• mike337

Posted June 10, 2011 - 02:12 PM

Looks awesome!

• Derwud

Posted June 10, 2011 - 02:47 PM

Which tank is that.. I am doing the same project.. looks nice.. Mine looks all stock, will post pics later.

• pschiess

Posted June 10, 2011 - 02:51 PM

Which tank is that.. I am doing the same project.. looks nice.. Mine looks all stock, will post pics later.

It is the black 3.1 gallon IMS tank with white YZ450F shrouds. With the IMS tank you need to get YZ shrouds I have been told. The fenders are Acerbis White for the 2007+ WR450F. Only one project left and that is finish my hour meter mount. (Oh yeah and go the the CA DMV).

• redswr

Posted June 10, 2011 - 03:44 PM

nice :ride: thats what i'm wanting to do too but no fundage at the moment... you use the Krylon paint for the headlight? i did on mine but didn't do the whole light
Posted Image

• pschiess

Posted June 10, 2011 - 04:12 PM

nice :ride: thats what i'm wanting to do too but no fundage at the moment... you use the Krylon paint for the headlight? i did on mine but didn't do the whole light
Posted Image

Yes Krylon Fusion gloss white but I am not real happy with the results. Could have done a better job but it is OK for now. Looks good for pictures just not great up close (kind of like a lot of celebrities I have seen :lol: ).

• redswr

Posted June 10, 2011 - 04:19 PM

Yes Krylon Fusion gloss white but I am not real happy with the results. Could have done a better job but it is OK for now. Looks good for pictures just not great up close (kind of like a lot of celebrities I have seen :lol: ).

haha... yeah like my old autoshop teacher told us our car only had to look good from the stands :ride:

• pstolnack

Posted July 03, 2011 - 05:23 PM

How are you getting your bike plated in CA?

• LIVETOSHRED

Posted July 03, 2011 - 07:07 PM

Looks Awesome!!!

• miweber929

Posted July 04, 2011 - 05:52 AM

I just went about it like it used to be. I put on the full light kit and had everything done so it worked perfectly including high beam indicator light. Took it to my dealer for a light inspection and also to CA CHP for VIN verification then to DMV. Had no issues.

Just an FYI, most states pull plates when someone at the DMV does the wrong thing and issues them. Been reading a ton about people getting letters in the mail about their formerly registered plates getting revoked in CA.

You may have won the battle but I am doubting you won the war. Enjoy it while you are still legal as I am betting you may be getting a letter in the mail instead of the title.

YMMV, however. And good luck!!

Mike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JM450

Posted July 04, 2011 - 03:03 PM

Your bike looks real good. In Washington state we'll be able plate our bikes leagally for the first time in awhile. I'm thinking about using the Tusk kit for my 2008 wr 450. Was it just plug and play for you to get it hooked up? Seems like they're quite abit cheaper.

• pschiess

Posted July 04, 2011 - 04:00 PM

I was quite pleased with the Tusk kit. I did not go the plug and play route because i wanted a few changes but they were all easy to do. I discovered that the stock headlight and tail light both are dual filament. I used the tusk kit tail light as it gave a spot to mount the license plate but you could just use the stock tail light. I also did not want the extra kill button so wired the power into the stock tail light circuit. Very easy to to. The only cutting was the headlight wires to have a high and low beam switch. Again very easy to do. I could post instructions and wiring help if needed.

• Jeffrey Jay

Posted July 06, 2011 - 03:26 PM

Nice! keep us posted :thumbsup:

• hm450

Posted July 08, 2011 - 12:36 AM

Nice bike ! Where do you find out this white headlight ?

• pschiess

Posted July 08, 2011 - 07:10 AM

Nice bike ! Where do you find out this white headlight ?

There are no white headlight shells so I took my blue one and painted it using Krylon Fusion gloss white. Turned out good but I rushed the paint job so up close it is noticeable but now bad. It has held up well so far with no peeling or cracking of the paint.

• redswr

Posted July 08, 2011 - 07:36 AM

There are no white headlight shells so I took my blue one and painted it using Krylon Fusion gloss white. Turned out good but I rushed the paint job so up close it is noticeable but now bad. It has held up well so far with no peeling or cracking of the paint.

yeah when i first did mine it wouldn't stick to the plastic that well cause it was cold outside... i put it under a heat lamp and it worked really well :thumbsup:

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted July 22, 2011 - 12:08 PM

I am very happy to report that my California title just came in the mail :smirk:. It is licensed as a TR bike which I assume means trail bike designation. This bike will be only on roads in the forest connecting trails so that applies perfectly.

Why the F do you feel the need to publicly talk about plating a bike in CA? Especially when it is against the law? Open forums is not the place man :p

• pschiess

Posted July 22, 2011 - 12:18 PM

Why the F do you feel the need to publicly talk about plating a bike in CA? Especially when it is against the law? Open forums is not the place man :p

Hmmm, Not sure what your problem is. What is it to you? I went through all of the LEGAL Channels. :smirk: I guess if it bothers you that much then I could always delete the post. Happy NOW??

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted July 22, 2011 - 12:34 PM

Hmmm, Not sure what your problem is. What is it to you? I went through all of the LEGAL Channels. :p I guess if it bothers you that much then I could always delete the post. Happy NOW??

If you want to get technical about it, there is no LEGAL way...read the law...

http://www.dmv.ca.go.../ohvdualreg.htm

The above link clearly says "Off-highway motorcycles must have an emission label affixed to the vehicle indicating certification by the manufacturer for on-highway use when converting to on-highway or dual registration. Registration guidelines for off-highway motorcycles converting to on-highway or dual registration require verification of the emission label."

We all know the emissions sticker on the WR is for OFF ROAD...

BTW its not about whats right or wrong, its about talking about it on public forums where gubberment people look to shut down any loop holes. Do what you want but I dont see the point to trying to ruin it for everyone :smirk:

Edited by 123BigcoopDawg576, July 22, 2011 - 12:35 PM.
Dont get me wrong...your bike does look GOOD!

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 22, 2011 - 03:20 PM

Courtesy of Johnny Airtime:

I don't feel this information is 'exposing' anything new, or illegal, but if it is universally voted unacceptable, please delete, or I will delete.

Typical mis-understandings, and rumors, about plating a motorcycle:

1st rumor;
You DO need an emission sticker, showing you are compliant. Green stickered bikes, come with a sticker, that says the bike is NOT compliant.
(read the very bottom of the sticker... and you'll see what I mean)
If your bike contains a sticker, showing you ARE compliant with CA Emissions Standards, then yes... you can obtain a plate, legally (this has never changed)

2nd rumor;
Saying the bike is for "dual purpose" is not a trick, nor does not get you any further down the road of being plated. I ONLY plate bikes, as ON ROAD only! No more green sticker (it's not needed).

3rd rumor;
CHP can NOT do the VIN verification process
needed to get your bike plated. The process, is to get the bike inspected, and a form 343 (Vin Verification) filled out completely. That form, is your golden ticket. If the DMV does allow a CHP form through, they've screwed up... and you could possibly lose the plate (if DMV catches their own mistake)

4th comment;
Using a registration service to "plate a bike" that is normally deemed not-platable is another means of people obtaining CA plates. This is actually true in some cases, because a DMV-Service is certified by DMV, and the 'service' will need to be able to do a VIN Verification (reg343). However, they are possibly risking their certification, and or worse (jail time and/or hefty fines)... if caught plating a bike that is NOT emission compliant. Specifically if the bike had never been seen by the DMV-Service and all paperwork was done "Sight Unseen".

What items do YOU need? (same 'items' a DMV-Service would need) I'll spell it out for you (I have the entire chapter, straight from the DMV bible itself... which explains this process for DMV employees - refer your DMV rep to Chapter 13, section 13.050 to 13.055);

1- Title IN YOUR NAME with current address
2- Current registration
3- 256 form, stating you read and are compliant with CHP888
4- 256 form, dealer processed, stating you are compliant with brake and light inspection.
5- You have current insurance coverage on bike
6- 343 form, completed by a DMV representative and stating that you "complies with US FMVSS" and "Vehicle meets US EPA standards and California Standards". (this form cannot be done by CHP or any other LEO - It is ONLY valid if completed by a DMV technician, per DMV Guidelines)
7- Eventually, a motorcycle license (M1)

There... now you got it.

Once you have the above. And are at DMV, know you will;
- Surrender your green sticker (if not dual-registration. Or tell them you'll discard it)
- DMV will take your Title, and issue you a new one with current plate/tag info (4-6 weeks for delivery)
- DMV will hand you a license plate, tags, and new registration

... and please, stop with the rumors of green stickered bikes being plated under a "dual purpose" theme. Rolling Eyes

... and please stop posting threads that ask "how to" plate a bike that is not legally platable. You think, DMV and CARB don't read?? They do!

Some links to help you through this crisis;
http://www.dmv.ca.go.../offhighway.htm
http://www.dmv.ca.go.../ohvdualreg.htm
http://www.arb.ca.go...t/cyclecert.htm
http://www.arb.ca.go...0030182_449.pdf

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.