so, i just bought a wr400..

11 replies to this topic
  • Metalskin420

Posted June 10, 2011 - 03:02 AM

so, i just bought a wr400, street registered and all..
i cant seem to find the key?? is there no ignition? im wondering how i can park this machine.

any ideas?? or how would i go about wiring something up? thanks

• MANIAC998

Posted June 10, 2011 - 04:08 AM

No key, but yes, you can add one. Welcome!!! Maniac

• redswr

Posted June 10, 2011 - 03:54 PM

No key, but yes, you can add one. Welcome!!! Maniac

exactly this... here's a link http://www.thumperta...ht=ignition key

• Metalskin420

Posted June 10, 2011 - 10:27 PM

cheers. i figure i might have to do that.

i have a few other issues with it, seems to stall at low rpm when cold.

apparently it only has 2500k's (1700 miles) on it, but its hard to tell if its correct.

when it happens, it sorta loses power, then locks up and makes a tick in the top end as it stops.

wont start with choke. needs no choke and a hint of throttle, wont start cold on idle.

its apparently just been re-jetted etc. running a bills pipe. seems to be running a bit rich (does heat up quick, and get very hot) but still goes fine after 5min.

it leaks a bit of fuel from the overflow after a 10min ride on the road.

is this normal? im guessing it probably sort of is for a race orientated bike.

it may also have been sitting for a couple of months.

also, when the front end comes up its really twitchy, if im on the gas with my weight forward it seems the front wheel
just goes left/right/left/right/left/right etc etc about an inch, but on its own accord at speeds that seem a little odd.
it has a tiny dent in the front rim, not out of round or out of true just a dent. could this be the cause?
otherwise its a freight train, it will go straight regardless even when the wheel comes down it still on the same track.
im wondering how much that will effect the bike coming out of corners and in situations when theres no weight on the front wheel.

any info appreciated. im new to WR's.

Edited by Metalskin420, June 10, 2011 - 10:46 PM.
adding info

• Metalskin420

Posted June 11, 2011 - 04:19 PM

can anyone help at all?

worried about a few things, but mostly the fuel overflow and the balance when the wheel leaves the ground.

stem bearings are a tiny bit worn, so maybe its been like that a while.

• redswr

Posted June 11, 2011 - 05:25 PM

sorry i'm still trying to figure out what your talking about...lol. sounds like it was jetted wrong/carbs dirty. the wheel i honestly have no clue what your trying to say. and i'm guessing you meant that coolant leaks into the overflow?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Metalskin420

Posted June 11, 2011 - 09:30 PM

sorry i'm still trying to figure out what your talking about...lol. sounds like it was jetted wrong/carbs dirty. the wheel i honestly have no clue what your trying to say. and i'm guessing you meant that coolant leaks into the overflow?

not sure, i think its just been re-jetted on the rich side for the pipe.

the overflow from the carby, leaks a bit of fuel. havent seen that happen on a 4 stroke like that.

when the front wheel leaves the ground, it goes left to right about 1 inch either way,
but at a really violent speed.. wondering if it has anything to do with the dent on the front rim causing it to be out of balance.

i thought it pretty much explained itself and someone here might have had a similar prob.

anyway, any info's good info. cheers.

• miweber929

Posted June 12, 2011 - 04:12 AM

"When the wheel leaves the ground", are you talking riding a wheelie? Well, that pretty much explains the carb overflow then!

Otherwise what you have going on is quite obvious: rich jetting, sticking float or in-correctly setup float for the carb issues. Rebuild the carb and fix your issue.

Wheel stuff? I'd do the following: check wheel bearings (most likely shot), steering head bearings and wheel trueness. And if it's an issue, keep the damn wheel on the ground where it belongs and it won't be an issue!!! A small flatspot is usually acceptable for running but it must be fairly small or you will notice it.

Fix those things, you should be fine.

Mike

• miweber929

Posted June 12, 2011 - 04:12 AM

Check your rear wheel bearings as well. It's a 13 year old bike that lived in the dirt, bearings do go, especially on powerwashed bikes.

Mike

• Metalskin420

Posted June 12, 2011 - 09:57 AM

Check your rear wheel bearings as well. It's a 13 year old bike that lived in the dirt, bearings do go, especially on powerwashed bikes.

Mike

i will check them but. this ones had a pretty easy life.

im just after some info on the issues it has got, can you tell me is it normal for the steering to twitch when the front wheel leaves the ground? how to they generally run when cold, maybe this is over-jetted?, etc etc.

• Metalskin420

Posted June 12, 2011 - 10:03 AM

"When the wheel leaves the ground", are you talking riding a wheelie? Well, that pretty much explains the carb overflow then!

Otherwise what you have going on is quite obvious: rich jetting, sticking float or in-correctly setup float for the carb issues. Rebuild the carb and fix your issue.

Wheel stuff? I'd do the following: check wheel bearings (most likely shot), steering head bearings and wheel trueness. And if it's an issue, keep the damn wheel on the ground where it belongs and it won't be an issue!!! A small flatspot is usually acceptable for running but it must be fairly small or you will notice it.

Fix those things, you should be fine.

Mike

the carby has just been rebuilt/re-jetted before i got the bike.
runs pretty rich. could that be causing it to stall until its running hot?

this is a dent maybe 1/4 of an inch, no actual flatspot but theres some play in the stem bearings,
i would assume its from running hot/lack of service. is there a heatproof grease
that works well for this? thanks

• miweber929

Posted June 12, 2011 - 05:19 PM

i will check them but. this ones had a pretty easy life.

im just after some info on the issues it has got, can you tell me is it normal for the steering to twitch when the front wheel leaves the ground? how to they generally run when cold, maybe this is over-jetted?, etc etc.

My comment is aimed at your twitch issue; check wheel bearings as they may be bad, causing the twitch.

the carby has just been rebuilt/re-jetted before i got the bike.
runs pretty rich. could that be causing it to stall until its running hot?

this is a dent maybe 1/4 of an inch, no actual flatspot but theres some play in the stem bearings,
i would assume its from running hot/lack of service. is there a heatproof grease
that works well for this? thanks

Several of us have asked and you haven't explained the "wheel leaving tge ground" statement. Are you talking about riding wheelies?

As far as everything else, unless a known good shop has rebuilt the carb you have ZERO idea what was done or if it was done correct. Redo it, bike is not running well and having issues. Lots of jetting charts on the site, read the Stickys.

As far as bearings YES, MAKE THEM RIGHT!!! Anything not setup correct in the front end may cause a wobble. I use a high speed marine grade waterproof wheel bearing grease in all my bearings on my bike. Seems to work fine, otherwise visit a dealer.

If you're riding wheelies and noticing the wheel wobbling then my advice is not to ride that way until you fix your issues. Everything will be happier in the end.

Mike

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.