09 yz450f oil overflow..? Need help

10 replies to this topic
  • gar47mx

Posted June 09, 2011 - 03:18 PM

Hey guys. Please help me if anyone has any info. I recently just made the switch to 4 strokes and am new to four stroke maintnance. I rode the bike about 1.2 hrs and changed the oil. I drained it from the Left side just below the Oil Fill, and I drained it from the right side underneath my skid plate. I went on to put 1full bottle of yamalube in. After doing so I noticed a tiny bit of oil had dripped from the bike when it was in the back of my truck today.... I double check both drain bolts and there tight. Could I have not drained all the oil and went on to add to much? Is there a Oil Overflow tube? Could it be the gold torque washers are no good? Please help

should i just leave the bike cold and drain the oil and re-do?

• davidl9999

Posted June 09, 2011 - 03:23 PM

You need to follow the manual's procedure when you change the oil in the bike. if you need a manual, you can download one for free here: http://www.thumperta...ead.php?t=54475

Not sure if you're aware, but the filter and drain bolts are sensitive to over-torqueing. Use a torque wrench, save some grief later.
(didn't read that you changed the filter, but I hope so if that's 1.2 hours from new)

I would also not use Yamalube except for break-in. Might want to consider a synthetic like Motul 5100.

• Steel Panther

Posted June 09, 2011 - 03:29 PM

The bike only takes a full bottle(liter) when you change the filter too, and it is not uncommon for excess oil to be pushed out through the head breather tube that comes along down the left side of the bike. It also helps to run the bike for a couple minutes before you drain to oil.

Edited by Steel Panther, June 10, 2011 - 12:01 AM.

• gar47mx

Posted June 09, 2011 - 03:33 PM

hey ya i have a manual and followed the procedures and I did warm the bike up for a couple minuites before draining. Im just nervouscause I seen a bit of leakage in my truck.

• davidl9999

Posted June 09, 2011 - 03:38 PM

Np. it's just probably a little over-filled. I wouldn't sweat it the oil level this time around, but I would change the filter and get the bigger pieces out of the catch screen (per the manual) if you haven't done that yet.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 09, 2011 - 07:17 PM

The bike takes 1 full quart without changing the filter and 1 full liter when you do, so it isn't overfilled. If the crush washers are damaged it will continue to leak, but the odds are more likely that you either spilled oil on the skid plate, or you have a drop or two coming from the breather, neither of which is a concern.

• jratcliffe3

Posted June 10, 2011 - 12:51 AM

I'd just double check the crush washers - if they are weeping a little, just change next time you change the oil.

Mine usually has a couple of drips from the breather after getting it warm for the first time after changing the oil, and is nothing to worry about. Oil always looks a lot more on the floor than has actually been lost - a couple of drips make a big mark.

• usp4u

Posted June 10, 2011 - 06:22 AM

I vote skid plate run-off. It caught me off gaurd the first time too.

• grayracer513

Posted June 10, 2011 - 06:22 AM

On the other hand, any time you suspect a leak, keep your eye on the oil level.

• yz450fcranker

Posted June 10, 2011 - 06:26 AM

also keep an eye on the bolt threads and cranckase threads
i recomend using loctite tape to seal it

• crf450319

Posted June 10, 2011 - 06:27 AM

I vote skid plate run-off. It caught me off gaurd the first time too.

X3

My '09 has 85 hours on it and I'm still on the original crush washers. Not that they shouldn't be replaced, but they're not leaking.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.