WR400 Wiring Diagram is not what I have

6 replies to this topic
  • 07gtimyfast

Posted June 09, 2011 - 03:18 PM

I do not own a WR but a YZ I'm converting to motard.

That being said I found a wiring harness for a 98 wr400 and snatched it up.

It has everything like CDI, ignitor, regulator, battery pack etc.

I have come to a roadblock with the regulator as the wires coming out do not match the wiring diagram and have me a bit confused..

Below is the wiring diagram for a 98 wr400 and pictures of the regulator wires. Any help on which wires goes where would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• gggsxr11

Posted June 09, 2011 - 04:14 PM

if that is a regulator rectifier which converts ac to dc then i expect the white wires are ac in wires as any way connect will work and the red wire is 12v positive and black wire 12v negative.
the white wires must be floating and connected to the ac alternator which must not be connected to frame or ground of the bike as the 12v negative will find frame or ground somewhere.
look carefully at the diagram you have posted as it shows the ac alternator as having a ground.
if you are doubtful how to do this mod make friends with an auto electrician with all this info and he will lead you into success.

• jsantapau

Posted June 09, 2011 - 04:47 PM

the above is true as I would know it......... the problem that you are facing is that the stock wr uses a/c for its lighting with a two wire regulator...... what you have is a regulator/rectifier which not only regulates the voltage but converts it to dc..... than as stated you need to find the a/c light power I believe it would be the yellow wire... and then on the coil itself see if it s grounded if so you need to cut the ground and splice a wire on it to run up thru the harness or if another wire was attached and brought up thru the harness those two wires would be hooked up to the two wires that are the same color on the regulator and the black and red would be neg and pos d/c coming out of the reg/rectifier

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 07gtimyfast

Posted June 09, 2011 - 04:50 PM

if that is a regulator rectifier which converts ac to dc then i expect the white wires are ac in wires as any way connect will work and the red wire is 12v positive and black wire 12v negative.
the white wires must be floating and connected to the ac alternator which must not be connected to frame or ground of the bike as the 12v negative will find frame or ground somewhere.
look carefully at the diagram you have posted as it shows the ac alternator as having a ground.
if you are doubtful how to do this mod make friends with an auto electrician with all this info and he will lead you into success.

Thats actually what I was thinking, the yellow wires (look white in the pic) go to the stator and the red/black are B+ and B- It just threw me off alittle why it came with the red and black wires connected, a closed circuit with a fuse in the middle. I think you are 100 percent correct and maybe it was just plugged in there for the heck of it after it was removed. Thanks :ride:

• 07gtimyfast

Posted June 09, 2011 - 04:55 PM

the above is true as I would know it......... the problem that you are facing is that the stock wr uses a/c for its lighting with a two wire regulator...... what you have is a regulator/rectifier which not only regulates the voltage but converts it to dc..... than as stated you need to find the a/c light power I believe it would be the yellow wire... and then on the coil itself see if it s grounded if so you need to cut the ground and splice a wire on it to run up thru the harness or if another wire was attached and brought up thru the harness those two wires would be hooked up to the two wires that are the same color on the regulator and the black and red would be neg and pos d/c coming out of the reg/rectifier

I see what your saying, i'm probably going with a after market lighting coil for the yz which has 2 seperate ouputs, one for the engine (ac runs off 2 coils) and one for the lighting (ac runs off the other 2 coils) and they are not connected so I will leave the engine wiring the same and connect the two lighting coil wires to the two yellow wires on the reg/rec in the above picture then the red/black to the battery and go from there. Thanks

• gggsxr11

Posted June 09, 2011 - 05:24 PM

http://wr450wiring.blogspot.com
go to this link and you will see how wr450 are wired,probably print the diagram and study it and you will understand better.

• 07gtimyfast

Posted June 09, 2011 - 05:47 PM

http://wr450wiring.blogspot.com
go to this link and you will see how wr450 are wired,probably print the diagram and study it and you will understand better.

Ok I see it now, the ignition coil is not grounded but the lighting/charging coil is grounded to common ground for all the DC equipment. I've printed this and will keep it for some ideas about building my wiring harness. Thanks again

*edit- I say "coil" but mean the seperate "coils" of wire in the stator

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.