UNI air filter question...NU3230ST

7 replies to this topic
  • Bobbed06

Posted June 09, 2011 - 11:29 AM

I just picked up a UNI NU3230ST for my 03 YZ450 at the local shop and I just went to install it and noticed it doesnt have the rubber grommet that I remember being on my Uni filters for my 99-02 KX 250.

Is this an old filter or does this model filter not have one? Regardless, should I stretch the foam around the centerstud on the cage or just let the bolt tighten up against the foam?

I know its a stupid question, but I live in a sandy area so I dont want to risk anyything. Thanks in advance for any help.

• grayracer513

Posted June 10, 2011 - 12:39 PM

YZ air filters typically don't have a grommet around the bolt hole. If you use a good, sticky filter oil like Maxima FFT, it's not a problem. Just be sure that area of the element (like the whole rest of it, is well oiled.

• Bobbed06

Posted June 10, 2011 - 03:42 PM

YZ air filters typically don't have a grommet around the bolt hole. If you use a good, sticky filter oil like Maxima FFT, it's not a problem. Just be sure that area of the element (like the whole rest of it, is well oiled.

Thanks, I did oil it very well. I just need to fix the oil leak, reinstall the chain, and service the neck bearings and I have completed the complete overhaul. Heres a pic from last nite.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Yamaryder29

Posted June 10, 2011 - 04:11 PM

The bike is lookin nice, especially for a 03

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Yamiryder

Posted June 10, 2011 - 06:36 PM

That looks brand new!!! And +1 on what gray said.

• Bobbed06

Posted June 11, 2011 - 09:03 AM

That looks brand new!!! And +1 on what gray said.

It is, These are the STOCK rear brake pads that havent even seated in yet.

Posted Image

I bought it from a guy who was scared of it.

• Yamiryder

Posted June 11, 2011 - 10:43 AM

I wish I could find a bike like that. It would be so cool. Good find!!

• Bobbed06

Posted June 11, 2011 - 10:57 AM

Thanks yamiryder, I dissassembled the entire bike for cleaning and greasing. It wasnt dirty , but I wanted to be sure it was properly serviced up and ready for use. The carb had to be completely overhauled with new brass and rubber. The suspension bearings were pristine, and well greased upon dissassembly. I plan on installing a new X ring chain for longevity since the sprockets are still new, installing DSP springs, and a White rear fender, front fender, and number plate. A set of Renthal handlebars are in the plans as well.
Maybe a Lexx Slip On for looks, but that can wait.

I really like the Alpinestars graphics but havent been able to locate them. How well does the UFO stuff fit on these Yamaha? I liked the fit and finish of the UFO stuff on my Kawasakis, and the dimples for drilling made life easy as well.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.