How to make a YZ450F trail-ready

27 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted June 19, 2011 - 02:06 PM

The 426 came with a 14 standard, so things are a little different than you imagine. A 16 is a little tight, though, and sometimes the slider needs to be notched for it.

• Yamiryder

Posted June 19, 2011 - 03:23 PM

Oh, I guess I should know my facts a little better. I figured they ha a 13 just like everything else.

• kmk09

Posted June 19, 2011 - 03:42 PM

Yeah, the case has been ground down for it, but no chain guard and it is to high geared for trails, so 15 tooth has been ordered

• Yamiryder

Posted June 19, 2011 - 06:47 PM

Yeah, the case has been ground down for it, but no chain guard and it is to high geared for trails, so 15 tooth has been ordered

I'd probably go back to the stock 14 if i was you...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WB450

Posted June 20, 2011 - 07:53 AM

I use a 13-51 with a heavy GYTR FW and Rekluse pro and love it.

• Wiz636

Posted June 20, 2011 - 05:45 PM

I'm not a fan of gearing down a bike even for tight woods. Unless you are always riding in first gear I guess, but other than that it just never made sense to me.

Gearing down (and this is all in my own opinion) makes the bike to jumpy/jerky and overly sensitive to slight variations of throttle.

It also causes the need to shift more often since the effective range of each gear is reduced. These motors have a wide RPM range of useability...why take that away?

This advice is worth exactly what you paid for it by the way. :ride:

• brentn

Posted June 20, 2011 - 09:05 PM

u can check out my bike in my garage, it works extremely well for me in the trails and is on the lower cost of mods.
Things that I would add to it would be for sure a flywheel weight, and the most important thing suspension valving for trails.

• Yamiryder

Posted June 21, 2011 - 08:01 AM

When you gear a bike down, it usually let's it lug better. This allows you to use the clutch less usually and results in less wheel spin. The less wheel spin, the more traction and the better the bike works in the woods.

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.