How to make a YZ450F trail-ready

27 replies to this topic
  • flwildcatfl

Posted June 09, 2011 - 11:15 AM

I am a relatively novice rider who wanted a bike mostly for trail riding with an occasional trip around the track. I found a nice 2009 YZ450F for what seemed like a reasonable price and figured I'd grow into the bike (skill-wise that is; size-wise I'm 5'10, 200lbs and can handle the weight). But in taking it out just twice now, I realize it is NOT your ideal trail bike. I found it to be really torquey at low speeds. I kill it far too often and subsequently wear myself out kicking it to life again.

I'm considering a few different things to tweak it and would appreciate the expertise of some more experienced vets - which would you recommend?

Option 1: Rekluse Z-Start Pro clutch. I understand this will help tremendously with killing the engine and most people who have one rave about its all around performance. $600 is a bit steep though.

Option 2: Re-gear it. Stock is 13/49 and I'm leaning to a 14/49 or 15/49 but would be open to any other suggestions. (Also - how do I know what chain I need?). I'm thinking this will help make the bike more manageable at low speeds in those tight areas. But would it even be necessary w/ the Rekluse?

Option 3: Add a Fly Wheel Weight (8oz+). As I understand it, this will help with killing it and is a cheaper (albeit less effective) option than the Rekluse. Is this even worth it, though?

Option 4: Sell the bike and get a true trail bike - something like a KTM 250 XCF-W for roughly the same investment.

Option 5: ???

Any input is appreciated - thanks!

• Dirt-rich

Posted June 09, 2011 - 11:18 AM

Option 1,2 seem like it would do the trick but if your doing more trail stuff with the once in a while track trip it would make sense to have get a trail bike or put some more time in riding the Yz And you will adapt

Edited by Dirt-rich, June 09, 2011 - 11:21 AM.
Fat fingers strike again

• johnny6speed

Posted June 09, 2011 - 12:00 PM

I was in the same boat 1 month ago. Here is my progression so far..

Week 1: OE bike. Power!, Stall, Kick, Tired, Power!, I'm fat and out of shape, Right leg is sore.
Week 2: OE bike with springs for my weight (265 with gear .50F/6.3R). Power! Stall a lot but getting better with clutch control, Kick, Tired, Power! Right leg is getting toned up.
Week 3: OE bike with springs for my weight + GYTR +9.21oz FW. http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=988926 AND bike seems easier to kickover? Could be placebo effect or legs getting used to it.

Don't give up on this bike. Before 1 month ago, I hadn't ridden in 11 years. Get some stiffer springs so you can get your sag correct, back down the compression adjustments front and rear to 1 click from full open, along with the rebound down a few clicks.

Just ordered some cycra probend handguards as my knuckles do not regenerate like Wolverine or at least as fast as when I was in my teens. Next up will be a skidplate. Then I'll leave er be for a while conditioning my mind and body to riding throughout the summer.

A Rekluse is certainly on the list as the year progresses. Also the added FW will only make the Rekluse experience that much better, and come on, 104.95 is far better then 599.99 in your shorts.

• YZ250Fcaptain

Posted June 09, 2011 - 03:40 PM

You wouldnt want to raise the front sproket you would want to raise the rear sproket. Raising the front takes away acceleration and gives top speed, in turn making it harder to take off. I'd raise the rear to a 50T. Also the flywheel weight is a good idea and relatively cheap. Would go with atleast a 9oz or even more if you are specifically doing trails. Another possibility is selling it for a WR450F which is set up for the woods, has a 6 speed trans so you have a creeper gear but can get on it when you want, lights, and is just about set up for woods from the factory

• RiderX

Posted June 09, 2011 - 03:48 PM

I have the same bike, here's my trail recipe:

-Rekluse Pro. Makes the bike very user friendly!

-Rekluse left hand rear brake. This is personal preference.

-Suspension sprung and revalved for woods riding. If this is out of the budget I would at least get springs. The bike is sprung close for a 200 lber stock. I only had to go up one on the fork springs and a couple on the shock spring.

-13/51 gearing. This made first gear usable for steep slow hill climbs.

-Scotts steering stabilizer. This can wait if it's out of the budget, but it makes holding lines in rocky or rough/rutted out stuff easier.

-Cycra hand guards. Handguards are an obvious must have for woods, I prefer Cycra.

Get a good set of tires for woods use. I run a Dunlop 756 front (stock tire) and a Michelin S12 for the rear.

-I'm still pondering a flywheel weight but I will probably get this as well.

I find the bike has just the right amount of torque and isn't too much at all in the woods. I'm an intermediate level rider and have owned many KTM's. (2 strokes). The only thing that would make this bike perfect for woods is E start. My bike is very effective in the woods and easy to handle. If I were you I would start with the Rekluse. This will put a huge grin on your face and make the bike so much more enjoyable to ride. It's worth every penny. You might catch a used one in the classifieds, I saw one there not too long ago. If you still think the torque is too much try a G2 throttle.

BTW, is your bike stock?

• Yamiryder

Posted June 09, 2011 - 04:45 PM

I have an 07 yz450 (basically same bike) and do a lot of trail riding. I went from 13/49 gearing to 13/51 and it helped. I might go 52 though, but if you get a FWW, it will work good with the 51 tooth rear sprocket.

• motoman808

Posted June 09, 2011 - 05:18 PM

get a rekluse you will be so happy.ive used one for years and when i got my 11 it was no fun to ride ,then good a rekluse and the love is back.i ride all kinds of tight stuff and it makes riding so much fun.save your money and get one.they offer 30 return if u hate it but u wont.

• Schpenxel

Posted June 10, 2011 - 09:19 AM

You wouldnt want to raise the front sproket you would want to raise the rear sproket. Raising the front takes away acceleration and gives top speed, in turn making it harder to take off. I'd raise the rear to a 50T.

exactly. if you want it harder to stall you want either a larger rear sprocket or SMALLER front.

• RiderX

Posted June 10, 2011 - 11:20 AM

exactly. if you want it harder to stall you want either a larger rear sprocket or SMALLER front.

The next step smaller front (12T) would be hard on your chain. I would go bigger in the rear.

• E T

Posted June 10, 2011 - 11:59 AM

First thing I changed on my 09 was the rear sprocket. I run 13/51. That is good for the woods here in the southeast.

But I occasionally still stall it. My next purchase is going to be the Revloc Dynaring Auto clutch. Its about half the price of the recluse. Guarenteed no stall and you can still use the clutch in certain situations. If it works as good as advertised, my 09 YZ 450F will be the perfect woods bike then.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 10, 2011 - 12:15 PM

My next purchase is going to be the Revloc Dynaring Auto clutch. Its about half the price of the recluse.

The Dyna Ring has had mixed reviews here. Rekluse makes a similar unit based on the ring they use in their high end Core EXP called simply the EXP (used to be called the "Trail"). Priced with and works much like the Dyna Ring, but has been received more favorably as far as I can tell. 30 day return policy, too.

• Yamiryder

Posted June 10, 2011 - 12:34 PM

Rekluse is the way to go with an auto clutch IMO.

• RiderX

Posted June 10, 2011 - 04:40 PM

The Dyna Ring has had mixed reviews here. Rekluse makes a similar unit based on the ring they use in their high end Core EXP called simply the EXP (used to be called the "Trail"). Priced with and works much like the Dyna Ring, but has been received more favorably as far as I can tell. 30 day return policy, too.

And much better product support. I tried to buy a Dyna Ring direct from Revloc. I called to ask some questions and order one, got voicemail; left a message with my call back #, no call back. Sent a few emails over a weeks time. Finally got a response. The email said to call him to order; I called and got voicemail. Left a message, no call back. I gave up and called Rekluse. got someone on the first call that was helpful. This was the deciding factor for me.

• YZPaGuy

Posted June 11, 2011 - 11:59 AM

Check out theses posts. I have an 08 and have done a bunch to it to make it a friendly bike. Wasn't allot of money but all well worth it. I have changed some of the things I did to it slightly but this will give you a good starting point. Believe me, the bike will be night and day when you get done with it. If you do it all your self you will only spend $600 or so without the suspension. I would highly recomend getting the suspension done. The number one best thing I did to the bike was the flywheel, the number two thing was the suspension.

http://www.thumperta...2611&highlight=

I did put the lexx exhaust on it also. It made a difference. It is quieter and it made the gears longer as the exhaust is about twice as long as the stock. I am probably going to put the rekluse in it also. I wanted to run it in three more harescrambles to get used to it befroe doing that but my son just broke his leg and wrist riding his dirt bike. I am the only one that can pick him up in the house so I can't take a chance of getting hurt.:ride:

I'm hoping to start riding again by August, hopefully him by the middle to end of September. For now I will live vicariously through you guys and this forum:ride:

• YZPaGuy

Posted June 11, 2011 - 12:19 PM

Another post about the flywheel

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=988926

If you look back in the history of the 450 forum you will find sooo much great info on your bike.

• sacfelix

Posted June 11, 2011 - 01:05 PM

I have a 06 YZ450 and the bike was not trail friendly right off the back either. I done the following mods to her over the last 3 years and now she is a great trail bike:
1. DIY - Smart Performance Suspension $280
2. FWW 9.21 - $100
3. CRM Hand Guards - $90
4. Richoet Skid Plate - $90
5. Moose Billet Rear Disk Guard - $30
6. W.C RAD Braces - $90
7. Moose RAD Guards - $25
8. 13/51 Gearing - $100
9. GPR V4 Submount Stabilizer - $450
10. Rerouted Crankcase Breather to Air Box - $5
11. Routed secondary filter to Air Box for carb vent lines - Free
12. Installed a Catch Can from an 06 CRF450X between the skid plate and engine - $20
13. Mega Bomb Header and 4.1C Can - $250
14. Jetting at Sea Level P45, M165, Needle Stock and stock clip position
15. Dr. D Hour meter installed once I got her home - $40
16. Clarke 3.2 tank - $150
17. PMB Kick Stand - $100

I think after all I have done to the bike I would of done the suspension first if I knew now what I knew when I first got the bike. Then Armour, FWW, Gearing and so on. I looked at a Recluse but I cant justify the cost of it when I can easily pull the clutch for free.

Edited by sacfelix, June 11, 2011 - 01:25 PM.

• YZPaGuy

Posted June 11, 2011 - 01:35 PM

I knew I posted a list somewhere, just took me a while to find it. Here's what I did;

1)Skid plate
2) Twin Air Filter
3) New hand grips(like these with deep bumps for when it's muddy)http://www.rockymoun....FamilyId=19923
4)Blister Busters(aka doughnuts)
5) Quick adjust clutch lever and perch
6) Bark Busters(Enduro Engineering)
7) New front and rear tire(I am currently running Bridgestone 404's)
8) HD tubes
9) Heavy Flywheel( I used the plus 9.1 from GYTR) Not sure which one your bike comes with but it really helps with the stalling of the 450's. Easy to install, I did it myself)
10) 165 main jet
11) 48 pilot jet
12) 52 tooth rear sproket(see note below!)
13) New chain
14) Plastic chain guide(much better then the stock aluminum one, platis just springs back, aluminum bends and stays bent)
15) Revalve and spring front forks and rear shock for my weight(215)
16) Handle bars cut down
17) Cycra power flow plastics

From the above sproket. I went up to a 52 rear sporoket to try to help with the stalling at the same time I did the flywheel, it did help but it put too much torque to the rear tire. I am now going to a 50 tooth rear to try to take out some of the torque. I like the 50 tooth better but it does require more attention to the clutch. As I ride the bike I get better and better. My last race I stalled three times on the first lap, once on the second and NONE on the third. Pretty happy with that as it's the first lap I have never stalled on! I'm going to keep the 50 tooth on there.

You can get the Lexx exhaust on Ebay for $172 shipped to your door and that includes the mid pipe. The fit and finish was great when I received it. The way I look at it is they don't sponsor a bunch of races so they can sell for cheaper and when a crash happens I won't be destroying a $500 exhaust. No that it's on I am still deciding whether I like it. It def gave me more on each gear but the bike isn't as snappy. It is very comfortable in the woods but I'm just not sure I will keep it this way. I might look for something in between or try a different cap. I would still recomend it for making a trail bike.

• kmk09

Posted June 18, 2011 - 01:21 PM

Yes, you deff don't want bigger up front, unless your good with the clutch, I have a 2000 yz 426, front is a 16 tooth, rear is a 48 tooth, every one I ride with has stock 426s, one wr, the rest yz, and I have a full gear top end on all of them, sucks in the trees, but sweet on the street, the fingers on my left hand just got stronger, as did my right leg lol, good thing she's a one kick wonder

• Yamiryder

Posted June 19, 2011 - 11:16 AM

I have a 2000 yz 426, front is a 16 tooth, rear is a 48 tooth

16 on the front!?!:ride:

• RiderX

Posted June 19, 2011 - 12:58 PM

16 on the front!?!:ride:

I'm surprised there's even enough room for a 16t front!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.