running bike without silencer

19 replies to this topic
  • acidburn

Posted June 09, 2011 - 09:57 AM

First off no i am not planning on doing this to sound louder it's because the bike came without the silencer, so my question is will running with out the silencer cause any problems other then getting the jetting in line? the bike is a rt100 if that even matters

• BDubb106

Posted June 09, 2011 - 09:58 AM

Not a good idea! Plain and simple...

• acidburn

Posted June 09, 2011 - 10:37 AM

would using a pocket bike silencer be better? it looks almost identical to the stock one used on these bikes

• BDubb106

Posted June 09, 2011 - 12:50 PM

Anything would be better than nothing, but Id search ebay and see if you couldnt find a used one on the cheap.

• acidburn

Posted June 09, 2011 - 12:56 PM

haha, getting a cheap one on ebay is the easy part, paying for it to be shipped to canada makes it cost more then a brand new one:bonk::ride:

• BDubb106

Posted June 09, 2011 - 12:58 PM

Didnt know your location, its listed as other. Sounds like ur in a tough spot man.

• arnego2

Posted June 09, 2011 - 01:23 PM

Well, then buy a new one :ride: Is there no one offering anything from Canada over ebay?
If I have to get stuff from ebay it sets me back about 30 to 50 US. Still it beats the price or unavailability over here on my little island.

• Deviant253

Posted June 09, 2011 - 06:00 PM

To answer your question no it will not hurt anything. I rode my 1991 rt100 with no silencer for 4 years with no problems. You will be fine.

• 92db

Posted June 09, 2011 - 06:41 PM

I would also remove the air filter to really make that engine free flowing then head straight to a sand pit or dusty track.

Everyone will be very impressed.

• 92db

Posted June 09, 2011 - 06:44 PM

I would also remove the air filter to make that baby really breathe. Also would be an excellent idea to not wear a helmet so you can hear how sweet that thing will sound.

Any freestyle ramps close by?

• stlavsa

Posted June 09, 2011 - 06:49 PM

remove the piston too it will reduce gyroscopic effect..

• donutman126

Posted June 09, 2011 - 07:07 PM

dont forget the heavy duy piston return springs

• acidburn

Posted June 10, 2011 - 03:43 AM

I would also remove the air filter to make that baby really breathe. Also would be an excellent idea to not wear a helmet so you can hear how sweet that thing will sound.

Any freestyle ramps close by?

clearly u didnt read the first sentence, i am not doing this to "sound cool" im doing this cause i bought the bike with no silencer, and im not doing it for any power performance of any kind, and there is no sand pits here just mud mud and more mud.

• USED YZ426F

Posted June 10, 2011 - 06:38 AM

It won't hurt the bike once you get it jetted correctly.

However, it will definitely be louder than stock and I believe that the RT series silencers came with a spark arrester built-in to them. You will lose that benefit also.

I would think that you should be able to find something on eBay that won't cost an arm and a leg to get (shipping included). Plus, it will take a while to get the jetting figured out and after spending some bucks on jets and a new top-end (after you sieze it a couple of times) it would probably be cheaper to just find something that will work.

• stlavsa

Posted June 10, 2011 - 07:08 AM

clearly u didnt read the first sentence, i am not doing this to "sound cool" im doing this cause i bought the bike with no silencer, and im not doing it for any power performance of any kind, and there is no sand pits here just mud mud and more mud.

I am assuming your just a kid with no money.. Well heres the solution.. Do yourself a favor and GET A SILENCER!.. Theres nothing more annoying that a bike or quad with the silencer removed or the baffle torn out. It sounds like crap and its not gonna help with power it will hurt your low-end if anything.

How much is a silencer? I understand your probably just a kid with no money, but this isnt a hobby for people with no money. You will find out soon that if you dont keep up with the bike it wont last long.

• baxterj787

Posted June 10, 2011 - 09:35 AM

Look around and find a complete silnecer off of any late 80s or newer 80 or 125 mx bike. Repack it and find a decent welder that can make a mount on your frame to connect to whatever mounts are on the silencer.

DO NOT ride it w/o a silencer. We will find you...

• RCannon

Posted June 10, 2011 - 01:41 PM

In the old days, people modified lawnmower silencers to work. Better than nothing..or not riding.

• adam728

Posted June 10, 2011 - 06:11 PM

I'd keep watching Ebay. I've shipped stuff to Canada several times that I've sold there, not really a big deal.

Also, keep in mind that DT100 and MX100's are practically the same bike as the RT100. I believe the silencers all interchange.

• schrode

Posted June 10, 2011 - 06:20 PM

Just cut the top and bottom off of a can of molson and duct tape in place.

Oh! Your welcome btw.

• stevens96yz250

Posted June 10, 2011 - 06:35 PM

My Silencer flew right off my old 1984 honda cr250 once, I fixed it by selling the bike,

boy could my mom hear me sneaking out with the bike!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

the irreplaceable carb gasket/oring by Hutch1

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • Hot  45 replies
Forums
Photo

1998 yz125? by Cort003

• 6 replies
Forums
Photo

85 or 150? by drzrider04

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

bike for female rider? by rhii108

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Apparently this is the 2015 yz250 by Red Dirt Ryan

• Hot  83 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.