tranny problems 04 450?

8 replies to this topic
  • danzick

Posted June 09, 2011 - 06:52 AM

so my 4th gear went out, and i replaced both tranny shafts, and the shift forks and the shift drum. im pretty sure i got it all in right since it seemed like you couldnt really put the parts in wrong. i put the cases back together, and i could shift through all the gears so i finished putting the top end totaly together even the valve cover. now, i cant seem to get it to shift at all. it feels all locked up and i can only get it to shift when i use a wrench on the fly wheel and turn the motor. is this just because its in need of oil and when the motor starts up its gonna be ok? i dont know what i could have done wrong.

• grayracer513

Posted June 09, 2011 - 07:12 AM

The trans won't shift unless at least one shaft turns in relation to the other. That's because without some rotation, there's nothing that will assure the locking lugs on the sides of the gears will necessarily align with each other.

Normally, in a 4th gear failure on a 4 speed in which the fault is one in which the trans won't stay in gear under a load, the only parts that need replacement are the 3rd and 4th gear pinions (on the main shaft) and the forward shift fork. Obviously, if 4th gear actually breaks, or more wear is found, other parts would be required.

• danzick

Posted June 09, 2011 - 07:30 AM

yeah i know i only had to get the 3 and 4th gear, but a member gave me an awesome deal and the whole works with like 2 months of use for 100 shipped. but anyways, you think i did everything ok? and i cant seem to get the transmission in neutral.

• grayracer513

Posted June 09, 2011 - 08:06 AM

you think i did everything ok?

I have no way of knowing, of course.

What does it do instead of shifting to neutral?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • danzick

Posted June 09, 2011 - 01:19 PM

its just hard to find. this ofcourse is witht he motor on the work bench and im sure this makes a difference, but when its in first, and i lightly pull up till it clicks like ive always done it seems to go straight to second.

• grayracer513

Posted June 09, 2011 - 01:50 PM

Overall, it sounds pretty normal. Remember, someone did all the engineering already. All you have to do is put the right parts in the right place.

• danzick

Posted June 09, 2011 - 03:54 PM

yeah i suppose. im no mechanic, and this job was a little much for me cause im new to the bike mechanic stuff, but i think i did it all right. ill just have to see if it will start up. and some oil in the case will probably make things work a little more smoothly

• danzick

Posted June 11, 2011 - 03:31 PM

so i got the whole bike together, and there is no neutral. if i hold the shift lever in the right spot, it will go into neutral. i dont understand it. i think i might know where i went wrong number 16 in the picture has those different spots for the shifter deal to lock in, and im wondering if i didnt get it back together in the right spot.
Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted June 12, 2011 - 07:43 AM

That's the shift segment wheel, and it bolts into the face of the shift cam with the bolt, #9. There's a steel pin in the cam that's supposed fit into a hole in the segment to index it. Check for that.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.