Kick Shaft Replacement

4 replies to this topic
  • Pross

Posted June 09, 2011 - 03:09 AM

So during my adventures in the amazing sand dunes of Beachport South Australia, I found myself flat battery from electric start dependancy and having to kick my 2005 WR450F to start it. After laying over too far in roost competitions or not making it up a soft as butter sand dune. I'd kicked my bike 40-50 times throughout the day. After stopping to decide our attack plan of the dunes ahead I kicked my bike over as usual; it half started and kicked the the kick starter back at me HARD and stalled. Reaching for my kickstarter.. unable to feel it I looked down... and there it lay on the sand.. kick shaft snapped clean at the engine. Luckily I was able to jump it down a hill and made my way out of nowhere to some civilization.

My question is, should I attack the replacement on my own? I'm not a mechanic but I don't give up easily. I haven't worked on bikes much at all. On a scale of 1-10 where does this rank in terms of difficulty to repair? Quote for parts is $410 bucks!

• bg10459

Posted June 09, 2011 - 02:50 PM

On a scale from 1-10, it's relatively easy. You have to remove the clutch side case, but not the clutch. Search ebay and I bet you can find a replacement shaft and gears for less than $100.

Edited by bg10459, June 09, 2011 - 06:26 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • danfromnb

Posted June 09, 2011 - 05:59 PM

Yeah, it's not too hard at all.

I'd replace the kick start stopper too, they are known to break and cause serious issues.

• MaxPower

Posted June 09, 2011 - 06:28 PM

[COLOR="Green"]Do it yourself
Its kid stuff
[/COLOR]

• Pross

Posted June 09, 2011 - 10:41 PM

Cool thanks guys, if you have any tips or "things to remember" any further info would be great!

Cheers

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.