Scorpion Racing Skid Plate review

3 replies to this topic
  • pschiess

Posted June 07, 2011 - 03:01 PM

I have now had some time to review my new Scorpion Racing skid plate. Bottom line is I really think it is an excellent product:thumbsup: :ride:. I bought the heavy duty skid plate so can't comment on the lighter duty one. For the price with the ThumperTalk discount and shipping included I just don't think there is a better buy out there.

It mounted relatively easily but did need some persuasion with a rubber mallet. That could be because I used both the included frame pads and the thick high density foam or it could be because my bike is 4 years old and has met some unfriendly rocks over the years. All in all it took about 15 minutes to remove the stock skid plate and mount the new one. I found that loosely mounting the 2 center bolts first then the back one bolt that is recessed so it does not catch on logs etc then the 2 on the frame up by the exhaust header was the way to go. The last 2 were the ones that needed some persuading with the mallet. I needed to hit the plate a few times to get the holes to line up. I am hopeful that it will mount easier the nest time after and oil change (yes you do not need to remove it to do an oil change but I prefer to as it is cleaner).

The sound from the engine does not appear to be much if any louder than with the stock plastic plate which I suppose it because of using the thick foam and the frame foam strips. If you have a metal plate you can go to Home Depot etc and buy the foam stick on strips that significantly reduce vibration noise. The Scorpion comes with all foam included.

Pictures of the plate after the last ride before being cleaned up are below. Notice in the bottom picture how the plate covers the lower frame rails all the way to the sides and the back. I also bought the Scorpion heavy duty radiator guards but have not mounted them yet. Will review once mounted and used. Right now I am using the Work's Connection radiator brace.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• SXP

Posted June 07, 2011 - 03:09 PM

That coverage does look pretty good. Would you mind taking a shot of the under side of the plate with emphassis on the very rear? I would like to see just how far back it goes. The best way to do it would be to lay the bike down on its side.

Thanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pschiess

Posted June 07, 2011 - 03:55 PM

That coverage does look pretty good. Would you mind taking a shot of the under side of the plate with emphassis on the very rear? I would like to see just how far back it goes. The best way to do it would be to lay the bike down on its side.

Thanks.

Like this?
Posted Image

• SXP

Posted June 07, 2011 - 04:03 PM

Like this?
Posted Image

Perfect! Thanks very much.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.