Rear Sprocket Question

5 replies to this topic
  • DPW

Posted May 22, 2001 - 05:19 PM

The bolts that hold on the rear sprocket do you guys recommend using loctite on them or just torqueing them down to the recomended 30Ft-lb ? I used loctite last time and torqued them down and had a heck of a time getting them loose. If you guys do use loctite which number ?

Thanks for your help

Dennis '99 YZ400F

• yzernie

Posted May 22, 2001 - 08:45 PM

I have never used locktite on the sprocket bolts. I do check them frequently and have only found them loose once (the bike was brand new). I like to check mine when I service the bike. They only take a minute to check and is well worth the time.

• teamtoxic

Posted May 23, 2001 - 04:36 AM

I would recommend using Loctite threadlocker, it won't hurt anything but will prevent them from coming off.

[This message has been edited by teamtoxic (edited 05-23-2001).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dirtdad

Posted May 23, 2001 - 06:25 AM

If you use loctite, use blue and use it between the head of the bolt and the sprocket. Most nuts for the sprocket bolt nuts have ny-locks and you just end up boogering them up.

00 YZ426F
01 TT-R125L (my son's)
91 CR125
83 YZ490
74 Hodaka Super Combat(gone but not forgotten!)

[This message has been edited by dirtdad (edited 05-23-2001).]

• DaveJ

Posted May 23, 2001 - 10:01 AM

After too many encounters with this thing coming lose, I switched over to a nut that has the self locking nylon insert.

• CrashTest

Posted May 23, 2001 - 11:17 AM

Loctite is safe bet, One of my buddies put the wrong compound an was forced to drill out the holes on his sprocket to get the bolt off after he stripped out the allen heads. A good idea is to go ahead and use the Red compound and when the time comes to take the bolts off, simply heat up the end of the nut with a torch and the bolt will come right out.

Better luck next time!!

Ride it like you stole it 426!

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.