YZ450F knocking noise - video provided

10 replies to this topic
  • chrispa

Posted June 07, 2011 - 04:22 AM

Hey guys,

I've read alot about the YZ450F and the knocking noises which are to be expected from the cylinder head...

I took a video of my 08 YZ450F:

You will hear me pull the clutch in and out and the knocking noise lowering when I pull it in (to be expected). Does this sound like your YZ450F? (ie. do I have a problem here?)

I let the clutch out at 6 seconds, pull it back in at ~8 seconds, let it go at ~12 seconds, let it out at ~15 seconds, up the revs at ~17 seconds.

Cheers

• dgcars

Posted June 07, 2011 - 04:28 AM

I don't think there is anything there to worry about. Thumpers do tend to sound louder on the stand while not wearing a helmet.

• chrispa

Posted June 07, 2011 - 04:31 AM

thanks for the reply, can you hear the knocking sound im talking about though? Otherwise I'll take another video with the seat off maybe..

• davcon

Posted June 07, 2011 - 05:43 AM

Doesnt sound too bad to me. Check this post.
http://www.thumperta...t=937776&page=2

• Johneboy

Posted June 13, 2011 - 05:37 AM

I just bought a 2006 YZ450F this past Saturday after riding a CRF450X for almost 2 years. After getting it up to temp. and then coming to a stop I found it seems to have a knocking noise just exactly like that featured in your video. Previous owner says all he's done to it is replace the timing chain as a precaution. He told me the noise is normal and if I had s problem he'd take care of it. Sounds like it's coming from the top end with a stethoscope. I'm at a loss but would be very interested in any opinions from anybody with experience with Yamaha four strokes. Thanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Steel Panther

Posted June 13, 2011 - 11:39 AM

My 09 sounded the exact same the day I got it from the dealer, and it still does many hours later. If you are worried which I believe you shouldnt be, check the valves and timing.

• BlueMagiC

Posted June 13, 2011 - 09:01 PM

If youre gonna be worried about the ticking, knocking, and rattling noises 4 strokes make, maybe you should buy a 2 stroke....LoL Every large bore 4T ive ever heard or ridden makes these noises. Its just how they are.

• Randal McSandal

Posted June 15, 2011 - 05:23 AM

Yamaha's are especially noted for doing this, even with their street bikes. My 450f has a pretty loud knock to it..

• Duner185

Posted June 15, 2011 - 12:48 PM

I have the same problem with my YZ450F i just had to get use to it.

• blakers213

Posted June 15, 2011 - 04:32 PM

Sounds exactly like my 09 with less than 12 hours on it. Had a Honda 450 that sounded like that too. My clutch puliing in and releasing also changes sound also. Your bike is completely normal.

• chrispa

Posted June 15, 2011 - 11:07 PM

thanks heaps for the replies guys!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.