2011 300xc-w throttle cable saftey wire?

6 replies to this topic
  • downs807

Posted June 06, 2011 - 09:33 AM

Well my cable broke yesterday while leading a hare scramble so how do I saftey wire it to keep this from happening? I've tried the search but all I've found is suggestions to do it but not a how to or where it needs to be wired. Mine broke right at the throttle housing on the bars.

Thanks,

• downs807

Posted June 09, 2011 - 09:24 AM

Anyone have any ideas? Has anyone had thiers pull out or apart?

• clapped_r6

Posted June 09, 2011 - 04:26 PM

where did the cable break? i'm not sure how one would safety wire a throttle cable?

• jpndave

Posted June 09, 2011 - 06:39 PM

I'm not sure if the 2011 is the same as the 2009, but on my '09 I replaced the stock cable with a longer one from motion pro and it routes much cleaner and no problems with it pulling apart like the stocker.

• downs807

Posted June 10, 2011 - 04:12 AM

It broke right where the throttle goes in the throttle housing on the bars.

I replaced it with a motion pro and changed the routing a little, one thing I found is the way KTM routes the cables it makes the cable move a lot so I think that adds wear to the cable.

For the wire tire deal I used a zip tie to keep the cable from pulling out of the top of the carb where the black rubber sleave goes over the portion where the cable goes in. Kinda hard to explain :ride: I'll try and post a picture later. But this is the only place I can see where the cable could come out and maybe stick the throttle wide open.

• gmoss357

Posted June 10, 2011 - 05:18 AM

It broke right where the throttle goes in the throttle housing on the bars.

I replaced it with a motion pro and changed the routing a little, one thing I found is the way KTM routes the cables it makes the cable move a lot so I think that adds wear to the cable.

For the wire tire deal I used a zip tie to keep the cable from pulling out of the top of the carb where the black rubber sleave goes over the portion where the cable goes in. Kinda hard to explain :ride: I'll try and post a picture later. But this is the only place I can see where the cable could come out and maybe stick the throttle wide open.

This has been covered in depth. The best thing you can do is buy the 4" longer Honda cable, route it in front of the bars, and behind the CDI to the carb. Makes a much cleaner route, then you can safety wire or zip tie the boot at the carb top.

The Honda part # is in a thread here somewhere. A search should bring it up.

• zilla

Posted June 10, 2011 - 09:19 AM

This has been covered in depth. The best thing you can do is buy the 4" longer Honda cable, route it in front of the bars, and behind the CDI to the carb. Makes a much cleaner route, then you can safety wire or zip tie the boot at the carb top.

The Honda part # is in a thread here somewhere. A search should bring it up.

X2, I use a Honda cable from a 98 CR250.. But it fits many years..

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.