Oil on front fender

7 replies to this topic
  • blakers213

Posted June 05, 2011 - 05:40 PM

My 09 450 has about 15 hours on it. Last 2 rides there is dark stains on the outside on the front fender clase to the radiator. I know it is probably from the gas tank vent hose but my question is...1 why only on my last 2 rides. 2 Is this washing lube off my steering bearings?

• grayracer513

Posted June 05, 2011 - 06:40 PM

Is this washing lube off my steering bearings?

How would that be possible?

• blakers213

Posted June 06, 2011 - 12:41 AM

Don't know Gray that is why I'm asking. The gas vent hose is in close proximitry to the steering bearings. The stuff on my fender looks just like an dried oily residue.

• yz450fcranker

Posted June 06, 2011 - 03:58 AM

Gray that would be possible since 09 bearings have a water leak so washing it off is a problem since water would go in the steering stem bearings and will flush some of the grease out on the bike rule off the thumb open up the fender take off the handlebar grab a tub of grease and fill her up with grease and its ok to see some of it go off just make sure to use some heavy sealing grease and silicone sealants might make it good to go

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 06, 2011 - 07:05 AM

The question is whether gas coming from the vent can wash grease from the steering head bearings. The head bearings are fit over the outside of a solid aluminum tube. The vent is routed to the inside of the same solid tube. So again, how would that be possible?

If you have actual grease on your fender, it's the work of sunshine and a grease form which the oil is too easily separated.

• yz450fcranker

Posted June 06, 2011 - 02:53 PM

Posted Image some waterproof grease will keep itself from getting on the fender

• grayracer513

Posted June 06, 2011 - 04:13 PM

No kidding?

All greases are a mixture of a metallic soap, such as lithium or molybdenum, and some type of oil. The oil in thinner and/or lower quality greases will often separate and drip away from the mixture, especially when exposed to heat.

Regardless, the only way gasoline coming from the vent tube will wash steering head grease onto the front fender is if the person installing the bearings got sloppy and smeared grease into the interior of the steering stem.

• gabrams

Posted June 06, 2011 - 06:20 PM

If you're concerned switch to a shorty gas tank vent. They're $15. I also have stains on the backside of my front fender from before switching. Not sure exactly what was leaking onto the fender (i'm sure i did get grease on some of the inside of the stem on regrease or it's dirt mixing with the gas and staining the plastic) but I figured gas running through my neck on crash was never a good thing. Scrub it with a plastic cleaner, adhesive remover, or goof off and it will clean up.

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.