2007 450 Aftermarket Cams

1 reply to this topic
  • 21YZs and counting

Posted June 03, 2011 - 09:02 AM

I was wondering which ones would give the most top end gain? I really do not mind losing low end pull. In fact I would like the power spread to be more two-stroke like. My son has a honda superhawk v-twin sportbike. The cam gears bolt on. He slotted the gears and degreed them for more top less bottom and it worked great. Has anyone tried anything like this on a yz 450?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 03, 2011 - 09:47 AM

Hot Cams makes an intake cam for the YZ450 that can be degreed by loosening the bolts that mount the sprocket to the cam. The exhaust cam does not lend itself to this kind of thing well because of the auto decompression mechanism. The pin that lifts the valve is built into the cam shaft, so when the cam timing is changed, the point at which the exhaust valve is reseated is also changed. Move it too much, and you'll have either too much compression to kick it, or too little to start it.

The '08-'09 cams are ground and timed for higher RPM than the '07 is, and there are aftermarket cams built for that, also. In some extreme cases, the duration and timing of grind is radical enough to reduce the cranking compression to the point where decompression is not required for starting, but those are cams for big dirt tracks, etc.

Related Content

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  106 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.