How many links?

3 replies to this topic
  • kev426

Posted August 25, 2003 - 08:24 PM

I got new sprockets and a chain I went with 14/49 with 114 links the chain seems a little long. stock was 14/50 with 114 links should I take out 1,2 links ? is there some magic formula to figure out how many links you need? :)
Thanks
kevin :D

• tctrailrider

Posted August 26, 2003 - 04:56 AM

Kev,
Adjust the rear wheel all the way forward, wrap the chain around the sprockets. You will be able to see how many to remove. Adding links because you went to short is a pain.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jchantzWR400F

Posted August 26, 2003 - 06:08 AM

I'm sure you've thought of this, but can't you just adjust the slack out using the adjusters. It doesn't seem like 1 tooth difference on the rear would give that much slack that it couldn't be adjusted out.

• Hick

Posted August 27, 2003 - 08:19 AM

Yeah, one link is a lot. If the chain fits on there at all it is probably the length you are going to have to live with.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.