Sand Tires.. - Specific Sizes

13 replies to this topic
  • Wrong-Way

Posted June 02, 2011 - 05:28 PM

Would like to purchase a front tire for my YZ450F for Sand use.

Stock tire is too narrow, would be nice to have a little better floatation.

Anyone recommend or suggest a good tire size?

• YamahaDoc

Posted June 02, 2011 - 08:49 PM

Would like to purchase a front tire for my YZ450F for Sand use.

Stock tire is too narrow, would be nice to have a little better floatation.

Anyone recommend or suggest a good tire size?

What kind of sand riding are you doing? For most stuff just airing down is good enough??

Ive never felt like I "Needed" a wider tire. I ride dunes and technical sand trails.

• RiverReaper

Posted June 03, 2011 - 11:36 AM

You don't need more flotation you need more throttle.

• YamahaDoc

Posted June 03, 2011 - 01:44 PM

You don't need more flotation you need more throttle.

Right!?!? Thats what I was getting at.

• grayracer513

Posted June 03, 2011 - 01:53 PM

The widest 21" available is a 90/100x21 anyway. Barely any wider than the stock 80/100.

Besides, steering on sand depends on the tire's ability to cut into the surface, not float. Sand has a number of the characteristics of a fluid, and has to be dealt with much like one.

• brentn

Posted June 04, 2011 - 10:05 AM

So a narrower front tire would do much better in the sand than a thicker one? This would also be the same with mud?

I suppose you would also want fewer knobs on the front, or at least ones that are more spaced apart?

• grayracer513

Posted June 04, 2011 - 10:27 AM

So a narrower front tire would do much better in the sand than a thicker one? This would also be the same with mud?

That's how it seems to me, and if you look at tires made for soft terrain, including sand, vs. those made for hard surfaces, the whole tire is narrower.

I suppose you would also want fewer knobs on the front, or at least ones that are more spaced apart?

Well, now that's the odd part. Soft terrain tires do work better with longer narrower knobs spaced farther apart to penetrate and bite into the surface, but the best sand tires actually have from 1 to 3 continuous ribs running all the way around. I have tried a number of different soft terrain tires that didn't work as well as some intermediates do. My current favorite all around desert front tire is the D952, ostensibly NOT a pure sand tire, but it works better for me than either the MX51 or 31, or the 756.

Overall, sand is more about technique than tires, and it's a tough skill to learn

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wrong-Way

Posted June 05, 2011 - 08:41 AM

Soft sand, Oregon coast...

just looking for a bit more floatation.. Front and rear

• RiverReaper

Posted June 05, 2011 - 03:02 PM

I ride the oregon coast all the time and you would benefit slightly from a ribbed front tire designed for the sand but I don't think it's worth the tire change. Really the trick to riding the oregon coast on a bike is to ride hard and keep on the throttle. You can't get lazy like on a quad.

• YamahaDoc

Posted June 05, 2011 - 08:31 PM

Soft sand, Oregon coast...

just looking for a bit more floatation.. Front and rear

Pin it, and ride more.

• SEOINAGE

Posted June 07, 2011 - 09:35 AM

I will second the 952 as well, have a mx51 on right now and it wants to dig and bite too hard in soft material but has been good overall, but the 952 was practically perfect on my old bike, even if after years the knobs were falling off.

• TX-SANDMAN

Posted June 07, 2011 - 11:57 AM

I ride with a group and we ride sand tracks and the dunes - Michelin s12 or the Starcross and we have tried them all.

AMS makes a dune tire but i have never tried it.

BTW - tried a Dunlap MX51 front tire this weekend - they should have stuck with the old 990 from 15 years ago - it was much better!

• yamahasocal450

Posted June 07, 2011 - 12:06 PM

I believe this is what you are looking for

Posted Image

• TX-SANDMAN

Posted June 08, 2011 - 06:48 PM

I wonder how that would handle in the dunes - no paddle needed!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.