Tires for the Woods

44 replies to this topic
  • Hurricane

Posted June 06, 2011 - 08:41 AM

Well, we agree to disagree, I respect all riders opinions. Except when a rider blames a fast hardpack trail crash on his Maxxis IT front tire..... front end washouts negotiating extremly slippery technical terrains are going to happen reguardless of what front tire is chosen. You cant expect an intermediate terrain tire to stick on slippery mud or wet rocks. Your buddy should have know this when tearing down a hard and wet trail. I have crashed many times with Maxxis IT's and every time it was my fault NOT the tire.

I'm not trying to ruffle your feathers here because it almost sounds like you have stock in Maxxis or something but I'm giving you 2 more riders opinions on the IT tires. The trail in question is a perimeter trail at our local riding area that we have ridden, trained, and raced on a million times over the past 20 years in every condition. This day was a dry and dusty one and the injured rider put 90% of the blame on the tires and like myself have chosen not use them anymore because in OUR OPINION these tires give poor traction period. I personally felt that these tires limited my ability to go fast on trails that I'm very familiar with do to poor traction and the sensation of the bike washing out because of it. I do not get the sensation of washout with many other tires including the Maxxis SI tires. This is just my opinion, don't be so sensitive about.:ride:

• Polar_Bus

Posted June 06, 2011 - 09:09 AM

I'm not trying to ruffle your feathers here because it almost sounds like you have stock in Maxxis or something)

Just to clarify my position, unlike guys that brag about race tire brand "XXX" from a discounted tire sponsorship i've payed for all my tires both good and bad for the past 27 years. I run what works for me. My feathers are not ruffled. Were democratically arguing tire opinions. It's all good.....

• Hurricane

Posted June 06, 2011 - 09:29 AM

Just to clarify my position, unlike guys that brag about race tire brand "XXX" from a discounted tire sponsorship i've payed for all my tires both good and bad for the past 27 years. I run what works for me. My feathers are not ruffled. Were democratically arguing tire opinions. It's all good.....

I wish I had a sponsor to by my tires too but I've also payed for every tire I've had aswell. If I was sponsored by Maxxis I still would not run the IT even if it were free. I would however run the SI and that new enduro tire I saw in Dirtrider that looks alot like the Michilin S12's, I believe they are EN.:ride:

• grayracer513

Posted June 06, 2011 - 09:33 AM

unlike guys that brag about race tire brand "XXX" from a discounted tire sponsorship i've payed for all my tires both good and bad for the past 27 years.

I think you'll find most of us in the same position...:ride:

• mattedhead

Posted June 06, 2011 - 10:36 AM

Pirelli Scorpion Mid Soft XC here...wears really well. Some of the guys are running the Pirelli MX Extra and really like it for a bit more life.

I am now on the dark side and using the MT43 trials in the rear. Scorpion Mid-Soft on the front.

• Polar_Bus

Posted June 06, 2011 - 10:41 AM

Pirelli Scorpion Mid Soft XC here...wears really well. Some of the guys are running the Pirelli MX Extra and really like it for a bit more life.

I am now on the dark side and using the MT43 trials in the rear. Scorpion Mid-Soft on the front.

Another perfect example of varied tire opinions is a good riding buddy of mine who is also a long time NETRA A vet enduro rider has a tire preference for the Pirelli MT16's. Pretty much all he runs except for MX'ing out on the track...

• CodyWayne718

Posted June 21, 2011 - 08:30 PM

I love the Michelin S12's but they don't last very long. A lot of my friends have been switching to the IRC M5b on the rear and they love them, great traction and wear like iron.

Jus wonderin what you guys ride for the IRC to wear like iron? I looked at the tire but it was listed as a "softy". Didn't wanna chance rippin the tire all to crap!

• Hurricane

Posted June 22, 2011 - 05:46 AM

Jus wonderin what you guys ride for the IRC to wear like iron? I looked at the tire but it was listed as a "softy". Didn't wanna chance rippin the tire all to crap!

I believe it is considered a soft terrain tire. My friend started using them on his ktm525 about 2 years ago and now he will not ride anything else, he gets more life out of that tire than any tire he's had, When he takes them off I never see any chunked out knobs. He finally convinced 3 more of my friends to get them this past year and they all say they are great. Great traction and wear. I have a brand new S12 on my bike right now but I'll probably get one my next tire. We primarily ride at St. Joe state park and it's pretty rocky and hard packed old trails, the place used to be a mine. Most of the riding in Missouri is pretty rocky especially down towards the Ozark areas so they hold up in the rocks well for a soft terrain tire.

• TD-3

Posted June 26, 2011 - 04:33 PM

I've tried a lot of tires and found that the Bridgestone M403 works the best for me. I run the 90/100 up front, it is a very predictable tire.

• YamaLink

Posted June 26, 2011 - 05:11 PM

Adding to the tire type for specific terrain is tire size.
I'll put a 110 if the race is muddy and/or full of deep ruts.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Polar_Bus

Posted June 27, 2011 - 01:53 AM

Adding to the tire type for specific terrain is tire size.
I'll put a 110 if the race is muddy and/or full of deep ruts.

can you explain in more detail ? "110" in place of what a 120 ? You running
18" or 19" ?

Most of the woods guys I chat with like a large aspect profile 18" tire to help flow over the nasty terrain more smoothly than a stiff walled 19"

• Wiz636

Posted June 27, 2011 - 07:19 AM

I prefer the Michelin M12 up front...works good everywhere and wear pretty well, and unlike many front tires it continues to works well as it wears.

For the rear I really like the Dunlop MX51.

• 1talbotj

Posted June 27, 2011 - 08:59 AM

Another perfect example of varied tire opinions is a good riding buddy of mine who is also a long time NETRA A vet enduro rider has a tire preference for the Pirelli MT16's. Pretty much all he runs except for MX'ing out on the track...

i recently switched to mt16s from dunlop stocker tires, they seem to bite good, if i were to reorder pirellie's i would get the 120 wide rear tire...the 110 seems a little narrow...

also the front MT16 tire is really narrow...my fear is it wont hold up to abuse from the really rocky trails on power lines...i havent dented the rim yet but there is a clear difference between the front tire beefiness......

• cowboyona426

Posted June 27, 2011 - 01:41 PM

I prefer the Michelin M12 up front...works good everywhere and wear pretty well, and unlike many front tires it continues to works well as it wears.

For the rear I really like the Dunlop MX51.

I've probably asked you before but have you tried the MX51 front? I've got a Washougal front right now and it was great when new, but as its got some wear on it the good traction seems to be going away as well. It's not in that bad of shape either...

• Wiz636

Posted June 27, 2011 - 02:53 PM

I've probably asked you before but have you tried the MX51 front? I've got a Washougal front right now and it was great when new, but as its got some wear on it the good traction seems to be going away as well. It's not in that bad of shape either...

I've used the MX51 up front a few times and it is a good tire that works everywhere. They are pretty durable as far chunking is concerned, more so than the M12 which tends to start chunking the side knobs, but I still think I get more useful life out of the M12.

If the bike shop was out of M12's I would grab an MX51 without hesitation.

• CodyWayne718

Posted November 10, 2011 - 04:57 PM

Kind of an old thread but, which tire did ya go with OP? If your still around here lol. Every time I think I found the tire I want they only have it in a 110/90. Pretty sure I want to stick to a 120/80 for the woods.

• YZPaGuy

Posted November 10, 2011 - 05:43 PM

Try a Bridgestone 404. I use them in the rocks and mud and love them. I have tried a couple others and always go back. I change my tires every three races or more.

• Wiz636

Posted November 11, 2011 - 08:41 AM

I just tried out some Pirelli's...MXMS on the front and an MT-16 on the back.

Love the MXMS up front traction-wise, too soon to tell how it will hold up.

The MT-16 on the back is so far pretty impressive. I have an 18" rear wheel and the 110 size has a pretty big sidewall so I can get away with lower pressures. Too soon to tell how it hold yet though also.

• grayracer513

Posted November 11, 2011 - 11:04 AM

Are your soil conditions mostly rocky/sandy/dry, or damp and loamy?

• Wiz636

Posted November 11, 2011 - 08:26 PM

I've ran the Pirellis in both, but not yet in the wet western WA woods with all of the roots.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.