Tires for the Woods

44 replies to this topic
  • NW450

Posted June 02, 2011 - 09:37 AM

Hey Guys,
Just got a 2011 YZ450f last month, I have finally gotten around to getting a few rides in. I am looking to swap out my tires for some woods tires. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Andrew

• Hurricane

Posted June 02, 2011 - 01:49 PM

I love the Michelin S12's but they don't last very long. A lot of my friends have been switching to the IRC M5b on the rear and they love them, great traction and wear like iron.

• MrBlahh

Posted June 02, 2011 - 02:00 PM

depends on terrain, out here I like the S12XC and a mt43 rear

• FUJIMO-33

Posted June 02, 2011 - 02:12 PM

michleln m12 xc great tires

• RiderX

Posted June 02, 2011 - 02:26 PM

I like the S12XC rear. The regular S12 wears out and loses knobs pretty fast. It's good for a mix of medium to soft terrain. They're not so great when the terrain is all hard and rocky stuff. I like the Dunlop 756 (or whatever replaced it) for medium-hard terrain on the rear. I run the 756 on the front for any terrain.

The M12's I've had lost traction too easy when you lean the bike and throttle through a corner. Especially on flat hardpack corners. I found myself sliding out all the time.

• fastyz250

Posted June 02, 2011 - 04:58 PM

s12 xc's are an amazing tire im on my second set and cant complain

• indy rider

Posted June 02, 2011 - 08:02 PM

[COLOR="Blue"]S12-XC [/COLOR](for soft to intermediate)

[COLOR="Blue"]Starcross MH3[/COLOR] (for Intermediate to hard)

• mazak500

Posted June 02, 2011 - 08:26 PM

i was going to get the s12's on my 08 450 but they were back ordered I have the starcross now on front and rear. been riding 3 weekends in the woods and havent lost a knob yet. i like them

• Polar_Bus

Posted June 03, 2011 - 02:32 AM

Hey Guys,
Just got a 2011 YZ450f last month, I have finally gotten around to getting a few rides in. I am looking to swap out my tires for some woods tires. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Andrew

I've been very happy over the past years with the Maxxis IT . Fantastic compramise as far as traction over a diverse terrain, excellent longevity, and very reasonably priced tires too ! :ride:

• mikewrf18

Posted June 03, 2011 - 02:47 AM

I've been very happy over the past years with the Maxxis IT . Fantastic compramise as far as traction over a diverse terrain, excellent longevity, and very reasonably priced tires too ! :ride:

I just received a new maxxis IT on my door step yesterday. Haven't gotten the opportunity to try'er out yet, but I've heard some good things about them. A guy here from TT that I rode with recently swears by them. I was told they last, they hook up great on various terrain, and the biggest thing, they are affordable. I'll let you know what I think of them after this weekend.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 03, 2011 - 07:32 AM

Since I don't have any direct experience with the kind of soils the OP rides in, I'll just comment on my experience with the Maxxis IT.

Yes, it's reasonably priced, and yes the REAR does wear well and it does work quite well as far as straight line traction in a wide range of soils, but it doesn't corner that great. The IT FRONT tire sucks (IMO) for all the same reasons that the rear is good. It rounds off quickly and doesn't get impressive traction anywhere.

The Dunlop 952 is a far better front and a significantly better rear than the IT. It wears longer, bites better, and corners much better, for about the same money. Especially the front. The range of soil types in which it works is impressively varied, although it's not truly excellent in any of them. Very good, though.

I run an MX51 rear and a 952 front, but this may not be at all the best for the OP's use.

• Polar_Bus

Posted June 03, 2011 - 08:02 AM

Since I don't have any direct experience with the kind of soils the OP rides in, I'll just comment on my experience with the Maxxis IT.

Yes, it's reasonably priced, and yes the REAR does wear well and it does work quite well as far as straight line traction in a wide range of soils, but it doesn't corner that great. The IT FRONT tire sucks (IMO) for all the same reasons that the rear is good. It rounds off quickly and doesn't get impressive traction anywhere.

The Dunlop 952 is a far better front and a significantly better rear than the IT. It wears longer, bites better, and corners much better, for about the same money. Especially the front. The range of soil types in which it works is impressively varied, although it's not truly excellent in any of them. Very good, though.

I run an MX51 rear and a 952 front, but this may not be at all the best for the OP's use.

Well, to be fair you need to be more descriptive when you claim the Maxxis IT front "sucks IMO" . Sucks in exactly what type of terrain(s) ? Soft sand ? mud ? Harder clay ? There is NO tire that provides perfect traction in every terrain. I have NO issues with the Maxxis IT front. My Maxxis IT opinions are strictly based upon a tire that provides a COMPRAMISE of great traction over a wide span of terrain. To each his own opinions....

• grayracer513

Posted June 03, 2011 - 08:35 AM

Well, to be fair you need to be more descriptive when you claim the Maxxis IT front "sucks IMO" . Sucks in exactly what type of terrain(s)

Pretty much everything, actually. When they're brand new, they work OK in intermediate soils, but they don't work in the soft stuff well at all, are actually terrible on hard pack, and they round off faster than the old Dunlop 756, after which they're even worse than when they started out. If you want a good Maxxis front, the SI works and lasts much better. Unless it's been changed in the last couple of years, the IT front is a nearly useless tire.

No offense, that's just how it was when we tried it.

• NW450

Posted June 03, 2011 - 08:47 AM

Thanks for all of the help guys. We mostly ride intermediate to hard rocky trails, and a few mud holes here and there. I would rather have a good tire for intermediate to hard terrain since wrecking in the soft dirt feels much better.:ride:

• Octanee

Posted June 04, 2011 - 12:39 AM

on my 450, i got a "intermediate-soft" front tire, since hey, front tires dont wear that much and they offer better traction due to lug design, but me i ride forest, and basically what youve said, and from my choices, ive found a "hard" tire works best, the tire i got seems to hook up great, yet last longer, which is always a + i had run some intermediate tires, more grip for sure in dirt, but them lugs just wear down so damn fast......

the tires i use is a bridgestone M203 front, and a Bridgestone M22 for the rear, works Great for all the riding here, single track, hard dirt, or soft dirt, it hooks up well in anything,

• Polar_Bus

Posted June 04, 2011 - 02:43 AM

Thanks for all of the help guys. We mostly ride intermediate to hard rocky trails, and a few mud holes here and there. I would rather have a good tire for intermediate to hard terrain since wrecking in the soft dirt feels much better.:ride:

This is where I seem to notice the best overall great traction. A peticular riding spot I like to go to is where I have to ride down a gravel rail road bed, then through a deep sand pit, then down the power line trail across a 150 ft long rock garden. The Maxxis IT handles each terrain excellent. So this for me is the major factor when I choose a "favorite" tire. I don't choose a Michlin ###'s because everyone on the internet says it is "awesome ". Dont get me wrong, i'm not boasting Maxxis IT's are the best tire. I've had good experiences with Dunlops too, but the dam Dunlops just don't last and they are an expensive tire. The only two tires that were absolute garbage IMO is the Pirelli MT320's (chunking knobs), and the Kenda Milliville (PISS POOR soft terrain traction) .

• primerib108

Posted June 04, 2011 - 05:50 AM

pirelli scorpion mx extra is the only tire I use for the rear.....lasts incredibly long and traction is not an issue on soft/medium/hard terrain. I installed mine last year, studded it with screws for winter riding, and took them out and used the same tire up to now. s12 does do better though in muddy type situations and that is why I have it I use it for the front......that and the M52 scorpion are both good choices up front.

• NW450

Posted June 06, 2011 - 06:26 AM

rode some really good single track yesterday. lots of packed dirt w/ rock and a lot of creek crossings with soft slippery mud.

anywhere the front tire hit mud was like ice skating:foul: the stock rear was also really slick in any little muddy spot which was not cool

• Hurricane

Posted June 06, 2011 - 06:40 AM

Pretty much everything, actually. When they're brand new, they work OK in intermediate soils, but they don't work in the soft stuff well at all, are actually terrible on hard pack, and they round off faster than the old Dunlop 756, after which they're even worse than when they started out. If you want a good Maxxis front, the SI works and lasts much better. Unless it's been changed in the last couple of years, the IT front is a nearly useless tire.

No offense, that's just how it was when we tried it.

Gray I have to agree with you, I do not get along with the Maxxis IT front or rear either. I had a set and took them off after 3 rides, traction was terrible in pretty much all conditions. I gave them to my friend and he rode them for 2 rides and then lost the front end on a fast hardpacked trail and ended up in the hospital for a week. Now I do really like the Maxxis SI rear, no experience with the front but the rear does pretty well.

• Polar_Bus

Posted June 06, 2011 - 08:18 AM

Gray I have to agree with you, I do not get along with the Maxxis IT front or rear either. I had a set and took them off after 3 rides, traction was terrible in pretty much all conditions. I gave them to my friend and he rode them for 2 rides and then lost the front end on a fast hardpacked trail and ended up in the hospital for a week. Now I do really like the Maxxis SI rear, no experience with the front but the rear does pretty well.

Well, we agree to disagree, I respect all riders opinions. Except when a rider blames a fast hardpack trail crash on his Maxxis IT front tire..... front end washouts negotiating extremly slippery technical terrains are going to potentially happen reguardless of what front tire is chosen. You can't expect an intermediate terrain tire to stick on slippery mud or wet rocks. Your buddy should have know this when tearing down a hard and wet trail. I have crashed many times with Maxxis IT's and every time it was my fault NOT the tire.

Edited by Polar_Bus, June 06, 2011 - 08:48 AM.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.