turn aluminum to chrome

11 replies to this topic
  • the426master

Posted August 25, 2003 - 04:21 PM

hey have you ever wondered how to make your aluminum to chrome well here’s how take some really fine like 600-800 grit wet dry sand paper and sand the aluminum until itlooks really shinny make sure you only sand in one direction the results will be much better. Then get a cotton cloth and some aluminum polish, I like mothers and blue magic, put some polish on the cloth and buff until it turns black and then wipe off you will need to do this several times. Or a grinder with a buffing wheel its lots faster than doing it by hand. Good luck It worked for me it should work for you :)

• MOmilkman

Posted August 26, 2003 - 05:35 AM

426master,

There was thread on this exact subject a while back. I did before and afters of my bar risers.
I think they turned out quite nice.
Posted Image
Posted Image

• the426master

Posted August 26, 2003 - 03:01 PM

I know I wrote that post to

• MOmilkman

Posted August 26, 2003 - 05:45 PM

Oh. sorry. :)

Just kind of a revisited post eh? :D

• the426master

Posted August 27, 2003 - 04:29 PM

ya momilkman just redoing what looks really good is when you do your skidplat motor mounts,brake pedal, shifter, and your resivor guard it looks really trick I'm about ready to do my swing arm

• lewichris

Posted August 28, 2003 - 07:42 AM

Off Topic-- would this also work on polished aluminum non clearcoated rims for my truck. If so has anyone done this and what attachment do you use

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • the426master

Posted August 28, 2003 - 02:32 PM

yes it would you might want to get a buffing wheal instead of a wrag and mothers will work best for that. good luck

• the426master

Posted September 03, 2003 - 06:43 AM

I had a friend that just did his alumimum wheels on his tr :thumbsup:uck and they turned out great

• sjw

Posted September 03, 2003 - 07:04 AM

I tried doing my swing arm and skid plate w/mothers it didnt phase it.what did I not do? I just tried mothers.how come it wont do anything? I guess you have to do the sanding. right?

• beezer

Posted September 03, 2003 - 08:17 AM

The only problem with polished aluminum is that the good looks don't last long.

Some people use clear varnish to keep it from oxidizing.

I had a drag car with a polished aluminum interior and I spent hours repolishing it.

• MOmilkman

Posted September 03, 2003 - 09:45 AM

I tried doing my swing arm and skid plate w/mothers it didnt phase it.what did I not do? I just tried mothers.how come it wont do anything? I guess you have to do the sanding. right?

Yes, you have to do quite a bit of tedious sanding. I think on the swingarm you also have to remove the factory paint with aircraft stripper. (I have heard other say that on here)

• the426master

Posted September 03, 2003 - 01:36 PM

you half to make the aluminum look really shinny before you use any polish and remove the pant on swing arm

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.