01 426 break-in & Suspension for big boys?

8 replies to this topic
  • Motofrenzy

Posted May 20, 2001 - 09:45 PM

I began Riding two years ago at the age of 30. My first bike was an XR 400 97' It was a great bike to learn on but I soon got board with it (after 3 months) and purchased a 98' YZ400F. My 400 being a used bike had already been broken in, so besides regular maintanence and a couple of upgrades It was problem free.
Two weeks ago after riding my buddys 00' 426 I fell in love with the increased powerband and easier turning front end and found myself sitting in front of my local scoundral (dealer). After an hour long numbers battle (he wanted $6200 I wanted $5900 out the door) I won (I think?). I am the proud owner of a brand new 01' 426 ( my first new bike).
I still consider myself a beginner and I only track ride. I have about 4 hours of operation time on the bike and I changed the oil and filter after 2hrs. On the first day the bike seemed to run hot and lugged, I could not seem to find the power band (I was running it at the recomended 1/4 & 1/2 throttle) after about 20 min I shut it down and waited 40 min then rode again. It was a different bike, it felt crisp and hooked up all over the place. On the second and third day pretty much the same thing happened (didnt feel right at first then power came on after a shut down) fourth day no problems. Is this normal break in or should I be concerned? I was also wondering if any one could recomend suspension set up for a rider weighing in at about 245 with gear on? No fat jokes please, I'm big boned!!!

• jamie_mckown

Posted May 20, 2001 - 04:12 PM

motofrenzy, As far as the suspension goes I can relate my story. You are too heavy. I am 6'0" tall and weigh 250+. I have a 2000 YZ that I hare scramble and trail ride. The first race was super rough and tight in Lynnville, IN. The bike was very rough and tiring to ride(considering that I rode an XR650L in the same race the previous year that says a lot). After about 20 minutes my arms were shot. I put up with this for about 4 months and sent the suspension off to Factory Connection. They went heavier on the springs and put in a revised fork seal kit(no blown seals yet!), changed the high speed valving, and sent the stuff back. All the sag measurements were perfect the bike was a totally different animal. I can spend all day on the bike and it really isn't too bad. Check em' out. 800-221-7560. They are super friendly and willing to help. They are also extremely reasonable on reworks as your skills/weight changes.

------------------
Somebody's gotta win; Somebody's gotta lose!!

• MikeOK

Posted May 21, 2001 - 08:09 AM

I'm about 210 and I'm stock on my suspension. I ride mainly moto. I was bottoming the forks too much at first but raising the fork oil level solved that problem. You can spend alot of money on changing the perfectly good stock suspension or you can work with what you have already paid for. At your weight I suspect you will at least have to go stiffer on the rear spring tho, I have a friend about your size who did this and said it was worth the bucks for him.

• Ga426owner

Posted May 21, 2001 - 11:18 AM

Motofrenzy:
for your weight change fork springs to either .47/.48kg rate springs. For the shock go to 5.6/5.7kg rate spings. Start with oil height in the 100mm range. Spring rates will vary, depending on tuner. RaceTech has a weight to spring rate ratio guide you can look at at
http://www.racetech.com

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Motofrenzy

Posted May 21, 2001 - 11:38 AM

Thank you all for the suspension input, I am still wondering about my break in problems.

I still consider myself a beginner and I only track ride. I have about 4 hours of operation time on the bike and I changed the oil and filter after 2hrs. On the first day the bike seemed to run hot and lugged, I could not seem to find the power band (I was running it at the recomended 1/4 & 1/2 throttle) after about 20 min I shut it down and waited 40 min then rode again. It was a different bike, it felt crisp and hooked up all over the place. On the second and third day pretty much the same thing happened (didnt feel right at first then power came on after a shut down) fourth day no problems. Is this normal break in or should I be concerned?

• Ga426owner

Posted May 21, 2001 - 11:44 AM

It does not sound right to me. Did you use the entire throttle range the 2-3-4th day?
Did you oil the air filter? They usually come dry from the dealer if the bike is new. Make sure if you have not removed the air filter that the Air boot is free of any obstructions.
Has any other 400/426 owner ridden the bike?
You may be feeling compression braking, if you are not used to this.

• Motofrenzy

Posted May 21, 2001 - 12:14 PM

I tried to use as much of the throttle as possible for me on the second day but as the tracks I'm riding are pretty tight I was not certain I was using full throttle. I'm going to head out to Elsinore either today or tomorrow and see how it goes. I did check the air filter before I rode and it was oiled.

Thanks, Paul

• MXOldtimer

Posted May 21, 2001 - 02:26 PM

You could just have the first ride jitters, where your riding stiff. Durning your break you might be settling down,shaking it off Then on your next ride,your riding looser and more relaxed making the bike feel right. Just a thought.

Doug

• Motofrenzy

Posted May 21, 2001 - 07:22 PM

It crossed my mind that it was just me over thinking the whole break in on the first day but when it reoccured the next couple of rides I began to wonder. However, having no problems on the fourth day I am beginning to relax. I'm thinking that either there was too much oil on the filter (or some what dense) or that something in the cooling system just needed some breaking in. I have also since played with the pilot screw and the idle a bit and that might have helped. I am absolutly infatuated with the past posts on this board. I've been checking out issues from the past 100 days and soaking it all in. Great message board!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Motofrenzy (edited 05-21-2001).]

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.