wr450 reliable?

7 replies to this topic
  • dumper_uk

Posted August 25, 2003 - 10:45 AM

HI, I am considering a wr450 to replace my trusty old drz,I have heard a few horror stories about engines going bang on yz450's from people I know who race them(motox).

Have any of you guys had any real engine problems? (except woodruff key)

Any input is appreciated...thanks :)

• endurodog

Posted August 25, 2003 - 11:20 AM

I have had mine since April and raced it in 6 races so far, plus lots of trail miles without a problem. What were the failures you had heard of??

• charlieb

Posted August 25, 2003 - 11:30 AM

I have seen several YZ450's go bang. everyone was connecting rod letting go.
I would not worry about it with the WR 450. The YZ version revs a fair bit higher than the WR, that is why the rods are breaking. I have had my WR450 for months and put a couple thousand miles on it and have had only one problem with it. (gas tank cracked).

• dumper_uk

Posted August 25, 2003 - 11:54 AM

Thats the problem I heard about..con rods failing...
I guess the wr motor isn't quite as highly strung as the YZ,and I prob won't be revving it that hard anyway...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted August 28, 2003 - 09:48 AM

Owned my WR450 since march. I do quite a bit of trail/play riding and motocrossed the whole season without a single mechanical problem.I probably have around 2500 miles thus far. My bike's serial # is 357, I haven't had the woodruff key problem and refused it when the local shop offered to perform it for free.

• KiwiThumper

Posted August 28, 2003 - 01:52 PM

I have loads of km's on my WR450 and bar the starter relay going on it, (which only meant I had to kick start it [once]) the thing has just run perfectly. This is by far the best bike I have ever owned.
Go blue !!!! :D :D :D :) :D
BTW: The best mod I have made to it so far (other than the Pro Cicuit Ti4 Pipe) has been an eibach rear spring, set to my weight (5.4kg spring) this really transforms it into a work of art to ride.
And yes to the observant, my picture is really old .... way more goodies on it now :D

• Indy_WR450

Posted August 28, 2003 - 02:45 PM

Stone cold RELIABLE!!!!! :) :D

• ddialogue

Posted August 28, 2003 - 03:17 PM

Stone cold RELIABLE!!!!! :D :)

DITTO!!!! :D

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.